Live sand

pondy

Ok, so I wont start my first sw tank with CC, but what is live sand? Can I get some sand from any good old sand dune and put it in my tank? Will it ever be considered live sand? Next question why is it so good to have in a tank? Where can I buy it I imagine on this site but im kinda short on money right now. Thanks Pondy:happyfish

Pondy,
Not a silly question at all, everyone asks questions,
Live sand is just that... Sand that has been bagged and contains good bacteria. You can buy it in your LFS. Its packaged with water IN the bag. Also, if you are needing to save a bit of $$ you can buy "southdown sand" or kids play sand It comes in bags as well but its dry and NOT LIVE, obviously. I got mine at home depot. Make sure the sand you buy is silicate free ( i think thats right)
First you put the regular sand on the bottom them top it off with the LIVE sand from the fish store,.Get AS MUCH Live sand as you can afford.... After a while, your regular sand will be considered LIVE sand becuase it will contain the good bacteria AND will eventually (about a year) host all kinds of little living creatures.
Hope this helps, If I am wrong about anything, sorry. I am sure someone else will chime in anyway. Thats what I did. 5" DSB... I used about 6 bags of LS and the rest southdown.
Thanking you kindly, Kim :happyfish

pondy

Kim thanks for your reply. I really am a rookie at this and I am just trying to get as much info, so I really dont mess up bad. Granted I will mess up. But I have heard of alot of things. What kind of animals will live in the sand. Just, bactiria or are there others? In your 75 what kind of protien scimmer, filter, exc... do you have? Do you have a sump, or fuge? I would really like to have both. and I posted a thread on it and I really like the idea. I just want to get some things for when I decide to set up my 100 gallon. That is the goal after I get comfortible with my 20 gallon

dragonboy

Welcome to the hobby but you should do a thread search in the New Hobbyist section cause most of these question should already have been answer in there. There are lot to get when you start so make sure you got most of the needed stuff before you start cause you really can't take some of the shortcuts and you might end up with big problems later. As for live sand they start off with bacteria on them but once you get live rock other creatures will start to appear on the sand like pods and worms which most of them are benifical. Skimmer's you will have to do research on it but it really comes down to your budget. Do a lot reading good luck with your setup.

NO Problem, thats what this board is for...... ASK AWAY!
And Dragon, Thanks for the LS answer. Yes, all sorts of pods and creatures will grow in there. The life will be able to support a manderine (in time) and other pod eating fish and starfish too.
I use a Backpak 2 Protien Skimmer, I here its a great one and It has NEVER failed me! In fact I have 2 of them. I used to have 5 tanks,( all different kinds of tanks, Seahorses, aggresive, fish only etc) and I used the backpacks on them too.
I use an Ehiem Professional 2 canister filter BUT Started with a Fluval 402, biggest one they have. I like the fluval better, easier to maintain. The Eheim always leakes on the floor when I service it, but I guess its a better filter. ?? All in what you like and can afford, but both R good choices. I like the CANISTER"S though. saves from looking at the filter hanging off the back, even though they CAN work for you. My sis has one. The ehiem also has a standard spray bar instead of a regular output. (also,better for gas exchange on the surface)...
I don't use a fuge or sump, and thats ONLY because when I was a newbie, I couldnt understand HOW TO SET THE DARN THING UP. IMO, I say go for the sump or fuge if you "understand it" My next tank will be pre-drilled for all the bells and whistles. AND what I have works just great for me, so Y change it if It aint broke? (and $$ really wasnt an issue at all, it was more understanding how stuff worked)
Go to the post by BANGGUY and look for a thread called "lagoon" I'm sure you'll be impressed! He has a 900 gallon ?lagoon? or whatever, it is feeding or supporting his show tank, but its AWESOME AND IMPRESSIVE!!
Sorry so long, hope this helps... Kim :yes:

Oh, I really wanted to add my 2 cents on something else if your just starting out.
You should ask alot of questions on lighting. Lighting is very important because it will determine what you can have in our tank as far as corals, if your gonna have them.
I am NO EXPERT ON LIGHTS at all, I have standard ( a bit upgraded) regular double hood lights ( 1 daylight & 1 actinic) and retrofitted Power Compacts. In the end I have 3 watts per gallon, which is addiquite for the corals I keep. Again, I wish I understood how to retrofit metal halides or VHO lighting then I could have more corals, I actually like corals more than the fish.. LOL

If you get MH lights you will need to run fans to cool the heat they put out, but I guess as I have heard from reading so much here that they are the best choice. Can anyone chime in on what exactally is VHO?? I have seen the bulbs in my LFS and they look like the standard florescent bulbs but the hood would have to be upgraded or something. How much more light (or color)would you get from the VHO bulbs than the PC's in a hood type fixture? (maybe I am totally wrong in the way they are held too???) Can they be put in a hood and used with the retrofit PC's?? Sorry, I added a question in YOUR post BUT maybe we BOTH will learn something.
ANyway, in closing, you will probably spend more $$ on lights then your pumps so good questions to ask BEFORE you buy.
Good Luck and have fun setting up your tank.
Thanking you kindly, Kim
P.s. Dont go get sand from the dunes on the beach... YOur LFS should have it there.
:thinking: :thinking::thinking:

pondy

Kim, hey on my posts any one can post a question. Cause they know more then me and I learn so much. I know that Im just beggining but when it comes to aquariums I dont consider myself a rookie. Just in this aspect. I just love to learn and I read and I look for the people that post. I just want my questions answered I guess. Ask away, you were one step a head of me. I was going to ask about lights today. Thanks for your info. I do want good lights. I really want to have a reef tank. Like you Im interested in the corals and inverts. More then the fish. I would love to have a mandrine some day. But I read some things and it said that I need at least a 55 gallon, to have one is this true? I would like to breed percs. also. This is really one of my dreams. In the future, I want to breed the Black Percs. I love them.. Thanks again for your help.
Would it be good to put some bleached coral in so that the snails and inverts have enough food? Of course the bleach would be rinsed out and placed in another aquarium (cuarintine tank.)to make sure it is alright to place in my tank first. I plan on having a 10 gallon sump. Thanks again.

streetdoc

The "Live sand" you'll find at your LFS is basically wet sand with bacteria. True live sand would be taken from the bottom of the ocean and contains many different life forms including pods, worms, bacteria, etc. This site sells this stuff and is great for seeding the sand mentioned in previous posts. Good luck!!