Live Sand

wilbert

Hi everyone. Ratdogfubar, I put 75 pounds of live sand in my tank as you suggested and I am please. still have an alga problem. The sand came with some small snails in it and there may be other things I have not seen. I have one small blue legged Hermit crab who go out on seach and destroy missions. the first time i noticed this was one evening after work. He had gotten hold of one of snails and held the the thing in cluches for 3 days on top one reef rocks, until I kind of encourage him to let the little guy or girl go. Well he got hold of another one. This time, I left him and the snail to deal with their own complaints. Well, guess the dispute got solved. The snail shell was split in half and the snail was nolong home or in sight. The split shell polished white inside and all the snail finishing were gone. Now, Mr HC can not occupy the snails shell, because they all to small. Or maybe he just like their taste. He still out there prowling the sand dune seeking to serve eviction notices on any snail he come across. I plan to add some more sand just to give him new mounts to conquer and a shrimp or two.

wilbert

Originally posted by the rock:
the rock says.....
the snail shell was split in half? how big is that blue hermit of yours?
He is about the size of a quarter or a little larger. He is about 6 or seven times larger the the snails.