Live Sand

T

tyrant

I am currently running a 90 gallon tank using an undergravel filter system. I am changing to live sand. How much sand should I add? I have heard between 1-6 inches. How much volume per pound is sand? Also, do I have to wait for the sand to cycle before adding the fish.

T

tyrant

Originally posted by ratdogfubar:
ug=bad
livesand=good

anywhere from 1" to 1.5" is good enough. if you already have live rocks in your tank, you're all set for livestock; use a funnel connected to a tube and pour the sand in--this will minimize cloudy water. if you're going to add live rocks in later, you might want to hold off livestock since amonia and nitrite spikes can occur; set up everything at start-up and wait for cycle.

the rock

the rock says.....
use the live sand with the plenum method and mix the live sand with aragonite for the rest, use about three to four inches if you want a nice deep bed that the sleeper gobies or the jawfish can have fun with, which would be about three bags in a 90

T

tyrant

Originally posted by the rock:
the rock says.....
use the live sand with the plenum method and mix the live sand with aragonite for the rest, use about three to four inches if you want a nice deep bed that the sleeper gobies or the jawfish can have fun with, which would be about three bags in a 90

I don't mean to sound like a total idiot, but what is the plenum method?