Live Sand

billyg

Hello fellow fishers,Im taking a trip to FLA. & was thinking about going into the water 3-4' offshore & getting buckets of sand to start a 240 reef.Is this a good (cheap,legal) idea or what? Im thinking 6-- 5 Gal. buckets for my base & hopefully find someone in the Tampa St Pete area with some LR.I know this hobby is not cheap by all means I have been in it for about 35yrs. & was tring to save some of my retirement funds

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by BILLYG
Hello fellow fishers,Im taking a trip to FLA. & was thinking about going into the water 3-4' offshore & getting buckets of sand to start a 240 reef.Is this a good (cheap,legal) idea or what? Im thinking 6-- 5 Gal. buckets for my base & hopefully find someone in the Tampa St Pete area with some LR.I know this hobby is not cheap by all means I have been in it for about 35yrs. & was tring to save some of my retirement funds

I KNOW FOR A FACT, they arrest people here all the time for taking out any kind of live rock or corals out of the ocean here, It is becoming a big undergound business here, I AM NOT SURE about Live Sand 3-4 ft off shore, Maybe Same Rules apply, Maybe contact Florida wildlife and game commission? or we a have a MARINE patrol division as well,, do a google..

billyg

Thanks its like I don,t need the hassle from the locals about digging out 6 buckets of sand & driving back to Ohio for that