Live Sand

dallassvt

Hello all!
Well I am doing a major tank upgrade and had a few quick questions about Live Sand.
How long can I keep live sand in a bucket with water? Nothing else just water!
What is the best sand to use that is not "live sand" but will become live sand during the cycle. I need about 120 lbs of total sand and I have about 80 lbs of live sand what can I use that will look similar?
Thanks

flower

I asked this question of SWF.com and was told to keep the live sand in a tub with a power head and water and use ASAP.
Any sand will seed wth live sand. You can even use 100% dead sand and as time passes it will be seeded from the live rock.

dallassvt

It is just sttting in a bucket in the garage with water! Will not be used for a week, should I just throw it away??

flower

If it smells bad yes..if not, put a power head to it to stir the water so it won't stagnate.

deejeff442

live sand is a sales gimmick.you can have a bare glass bottom tank if you want most of the bacteria is in the lr.i have never bought live sand.dont see wasting the cash.i just had a leak on one of my tanks.i took the sand out on washed it with the garden hose.put it back with the lr i had in a tote.the tank is now running fine.sand causes more problems in a tank than a dead fish imo.i keep my tanks with only 1 inch of sand just so i cant see the bottom.

acrylic51

Very debatable....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/381267/live-sand#post_3320173
live sand is a sales gimmick.you can have a bare glass bottom tank if you want most of the bacteria is in the lr.i have never bought live sand.dont see wasting the cash.i just had a leak on one of my tanks.i took the sand out on washed it with the garden hose.put it back with the lr i had in a tote.the tank is now running fine.sand causes more problems in a tank than a dead fish imo.i keep my tanks with only 1 inch of sand just so i cant see the bottom.

jennie3218

I would recommend Crystal Reef Sand. I bought 120lbs a year or two ago. It was amazing bright and really helped buffer my system. I have found some people saying that a bare bottom is fine, but how does your detritus get eaten? Live sand eats your fish poop and excess food not eaten by the fish. I replaced the crushed coral I had for about a year (crushed coral stinks). I put about an inch and half in my tank and I have found I need to perform less water changes.

acrylic51

If you have stuff settling, decaying on your sand bed, poor or improper flow in DT. A sand bed by no means is needed for a healthy/thriving system. Sand beds must also be maintained or they will fail.:flame: