Live vs. Crushed

I was wondering, what is better? I was leaning toward the cruched coral, but was then informed about live sand. Which is more accurate for a reef/marine aquarium?If you are reading this, please fill out the poll above.

al mc

Damsel...You are opening up a 'can of worms' here. You will get opinions on both sides on this one. IMHO in a reef or possible reef tank I would go with sand. With a sand bed the 'theory' goes that you will have areas that are anoxic (lack oxygen) and bacteria that can multiple here will remove your nitrate..giving off a gas that will leave your tank..thus lower nitrate levels/healthier tank/less water changing. Crushed coral has too many 'nooks and crannies' allowing detrius accumulation and rising nitrate levels. I started out with cruched coral but have switched my tanks over
to sand. I have found it works better for me.

ruaround

sand is going to out weigh BY FAR!!! CC is cheaper, but needs more maintenance, and most dont like how it looks... most advise sand, but go with what you can afford... there are numerous threads on both substrates...

1journeyman

Sand provides:
Better habitat
Better buffering
Better filtration
Either one can work, and either one can fail. CC must be vacuumed, sand needs to be the proper depth, have good current flowing over it, and sand sifting creatures need to be avoided.

bmorecopper

I have read a lot of posts over the last few days on this and even tossed around the idea of switching over to sand. I have had CC in my tank for almost 8 years. I only keep about a 1 inch bed (just even with the trim around the bottom of the tank). I do have to vac it out when doing a water change but I dont mind. I have my live rock stacked so that I can get around and in between most areas with the vac. I have never had any problems but I try to stay on top of the vacuuming.
Thats just my experience,
Copper