Live (Well it used to be) Rock

mandarin w

I am in the process of getting stuff together to start a 150 gal reef tank. Early planning stages. I have a co-worker who use to have a 55 gal salt tank a few years ago. He never could get things to go quite right, got fustrated and gave up. He took his live rock and put it in the garage, and there it sat until now. I believe i'm right but want to make sure. All rock can be turned into live rock. So even though it has been setting dry in the garage. I can take this rock and clean it, Scrub it down, then soak it in a container of fresh water for a little while to make sure nothing like spiders and so forth are living in them. Then clean them again. Then I should be able to put them in to my tank to cycle and then we should over time a month or two. Have live rock again. Well I realize I will have to put a few pieces of already cured live healthy rock in to get the process started. Am I right in what I'm thinking, or did I misunderstand this process. :notsure:

teresaq

your right. it will make great base rock, and will soon come to life with added live rock. Good luck.
I too am setting up a 150 in the near future, and made my own base rock out of cement. I am going to seed it with the rock from my 55 gal.

scotts

You are right. When I bought my used 125 I also got some rock that was pure white. It is now covered with corallin and other stuff that make it live rock. Although it may take a little longer than a month for this to happen, depending on your tank. But in time it will be live rock again.
Scott