liverock from LFS....

scav1180

I have a LFS I go to get my supplies and they have a seperate tank for live rock that is always submerged under water.
Will I be okay to take that rock and put it in right away into my tank or would I have to put it in a seperate container for awhile?
My tank has been up and running for about a year now.
Thanks!

joker3762

Most likely you should be ok to put it right in, However you don't know what is in their water. I would definitly Cure it again. Better safe then sorry. Plus you dont know how long that particular piece has been in the water. If it arrived yesterday then it probably isnt cured.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by scav1180
I have a LFS I go to get my supplies and they have a seperate tank for live rock that is always submerged under water.
Will I be okay to take that rock and put it in right away into my tank or would I have to put it in a seperate container for awhile?
My tank has been up and running for about a year now.
Thanks!
How big is your tank and how many lbs of rock? Does the rock smell? If it stinks....it is not cured. At worse case, I would thoroughly rinse the rock (shake) in a separate salt water bucket before putting in.
IMO
Mc

scav1180

Originally Posted by grumpygils
How big is your tank and how many lbs of rock? Does the rock smell? If it stinks....it is not cured. At worse case, I would thoroughly rinse the rock (shake) in a separate salt water bucket before putting in.
IMO
Mc
I currently have 40-50lbs of rock in my tank, still looks empty.. lol
The tank is a 90gallon tank.
This is the only area I seem to cant understand even with bunch of reading. lol.. Well I guess I have to check today after work, head over to my LFS and check it out again. Its like 5 mins from my house.
So if everything seems cured and smells right, I can just rinse in a seperate container, if not just cure it in a seperate container?
I do have another 60 gallon thats just sitting in my living room. Don't know what to do with it.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by scav1180
I currently have 40-50lbs of rock in my tank, still looks empty.. lol
The tank is a 90gallon tank.
This is the only area I seem to cant understand even with bunch of reading. lol.. Well I guess I have to check today after work, head over to my LFS and check it out again. Its like 5 mins from my house.
So if everything seems cured and smells right, I can just rinse in a seperate container, if not just cure it in a seperate container?
I do have another 60 gallon thats just sitting in my living room. Don't know what to do with it.
Smells is a rule of thumb. How many lbs are you looking to put in. I wouldn't put in more than 15 lbs or so unless I know it is cured. Ask the lfs how long it has been sitting around? Did the LFS put it in their tanks? If it is cured, I would still give it a good shake in a separate tub or at the lfs tub.
Mc

taz_12777

Since you have an extra tank i would mix up some water add a power head and a heater and let it cycle for a couple of days. Test the water to make sure there are no spikes then add it to your display. By keeping it out of your display you can make sure there are no unwanted hitchhikers and that you don't have a mini cycle.