liverock rusting....

r6danger

not really but it looks like it...what's this rust-colored stuff growing all over my liverock...it's spreading all over my tank...on the dead coral, CC, etc...how do i get rid of it? my tank has been set up for a little over a week...haven't tested the water yet so i don't know if it has cycled...it is a 55g with 13lbs. of live rock and 3 damsels...everything seems fine except for this rust-colored algae or whatever...any suggestions?

jrang

R6Danger,
I have had my tank set up for alittle over a month and am going through the same thing. I believe they are called DIATOMS. It is my understanding that every new tank will go through this stage. I have read on the BB that they will go away after awhile. I think they are caused by high phosphates in your water.

kdlbem

Diatoms..... nothing to worry about, it's part of the cycle. our tank had them until it was done cycling. You might check for phosphates, unless you used RODI water, which doesn't contain them. I used tapwater for set up, and found phosphates when I tested, so nothing but RODI water from then on, and I haven't seen the phosphates(I read they are a source of food to diatoms and algae) since.
HTH
B