Lobster tank???

erock412

I was thinking earlier today as i was grocery shopping about how much i hate passing the lobsters in the seafood section. if i could just save ONE lobster from it's inevitable boiling death, i think that would be enough for me. how hard do you think it would be to keep a lobster from a grocery store? what size tank, parameters, etc... i'm just starting a 125 reef, so this isnt something i plan on doing anytime soon, however i have a ton of extra equipment, and although i think it would be cool to have a seperate aggressive tank, i think it would be much more honorable to rescue a lobster..

mr_x

it's easy to keep a lobster. they live in much colder climates though. i believe you'd need a chiller for the local variety.

Yep! A Chiller would be a definite must for that size Critter and I would say probably at least a 265 tank, as I used to work at a Restraunt that sold live lobsters and some of the get experence huge..... Althought the largest that we ever had as a 4# er. Talk about a "tough nut to crack"

renogaw

why don't you just get a big spiney lobster and a couple purple or red lobsters? i'm sorry, but i don't think you'd be able to keep a maine lobster alive and would probably kill it a lot slower than boiling it would.

U

usirchchris

Save an egg instead
Chicken wouldn't need all the expensive hardware associated with a "big cold" tank...slippery slope you are on here. Of course the benefit of the lobster is if it doesn't work out...You can eat your delicious lobster

erock412

well, i have a chiller, but i dont think i have a 265g tank laying around... and if i did, i certainly wouldnt be using it for a LGS (local grocery store) lobster

saltygerman

Originally Posted by ERock412
http:///forum/post/2895387
I was thinking earlier today as i was grocery shopping about how much i hate passing the lobsters in the seafood section. if i could just save ONE lobster from it's inevitable boiling death, i think that would be enough for me. how hard do you think it would be to keep a lobster from a grocery store? what size tank, parameters, etc... i'm just starting a 125 reef, so this isnt something i plan on doing anytime soon, however i have a ton of extra equipment, and although i think it would be cool to have a seperate aggressive tank, i think it would be much more honorable to rescue a lobster..

If it doesn't work out and your new pet dies...PM me I'll eat it..

reefforbrains

And a new tag is born.
Behold the- LGS
Maine Lobsters die a miserable death when in home aquariums, they need acres of seabed to wander and hunt.
Someone mentioned having some exp with larger lobs. When they are FRESH they whip that tail with amazing force. Could eaisily hurt someone/something if they were to spook the tank with a healthy several pound lob inside.