lobsters

matti070

im placing an order soon and am planning to get a lobster. a purple lobster in detail. anyhoo, i was wondering if its safe with a pistol shrimp, a goby, a clown, a cardinal, and a cleaner shrimp. also, will it eat something else then pellets?
Thx,
Matt

zibnata

I had a spiny blue lobster once.I never saw it during the day,but in the morning there was always a few more empty snail and hermit shells lying around. it went back to the store and I ordered a new cleanup crew. Also if I were a fish ,I wouldnt sleep at night with one in the tank. Maybe the purple one is different. Hopefully someone else will respond.

matti070

Originally posted by SquishyFish
Thats pretty much the story across the board. Purchase lobster..put lobster in tank...never see anything but molts.
IMO, I would say get something you will actually see once in a while.
Squishy

i got a pistol shrimp never expecting to see it. every day i see it alltheway out. almost all of the fish and inverts in my tank are seen at least 5 times a day.

drakken

I got a purple lobster about a week ago. Just today I finally saw him for the first time in between some rocks. As I said in another post, I feel like I took $25 and stuck in under a piece of live rock.:rolleyes:

seaslug0305

i agree with everyone else..i bought a purple lobster in october and saw it for the first time the other day. and thats only because i lifted up a piece of rock that he was dug in to

fda483

When I first started out, I got a lobster for my daughters 28 gal bowfront. He hid most of the time until one day I was feeding and he stuck his claw out and grabbed onto the belly of a small puffer. He blew up like a balloon that was about to burst. I had to go in and free the poor guy. After resisting the temptation of melting some butter and having a snack, I threw the lobster into my 90gal where he has lived behind the rocks for the past 18 months. Save your $$$

jbstuart

I've heard of people building a borrow with clear tubing in back, so its visible throughout the day. Ofcourse, with doing this you run the risk the lobster wouldn't use it anyways. However, it is a possibility.

matti070

youre all talking about hiding, but i have about 7 rocks in my tank, 5 of them being used by the pistol shrimp and goby and are covered in sand. even if he manages to hide in one of them, there is not one cavity, crevace, cave or hole in the rocks that i dont know about.

nm reef

So go ahead and get one. You seem convinced that you'll have better luck with them than the majority of folks that have owned or currently own them.
For my money they are much too reclusive and can be like a bull in a china shop when they move around. Maybe if I had a very large system...say 240+ then I'd consider a few of the available lobster species...but for now I believe I'll avoid them.
As a famous person once said...
your tank~your choice
:thinking:

drakken

Originally posted by Matti070
thanks for the advice, but im still gonna get one.

Update:
My purple lobster has been coming out more. He only comes out when just the moonlights are on.
Last night I watched him going in and out of caves looking for food. I threw some food in and sure enough he came out to grab some. It's funny to watch him because anytime anything like a shrimp or fish comes near him he raises his claws up to chase it away. I'm happy to see him out and about.