Local fish store.

whitemike

At my local fish store I went to buy some hermit crabs and they had some red crabs which I can't seem to find any information in my books or online about them. They are about 1 inch big with small claws and no shells. They kind of look like hawian strawberry crabs but they are red not pink. Does any one have any idea what else they would be called or any other usefull information about them I asked the fish store owner but he dosn't seem like he really knows much.

fishguy84

Does it look anything like this?
http://www.bahia-online.net/encanto/fish95hermit.jpg
if so, that's a red legged hermit crab. Cool little guys, really don't have to worry too much about what they eat... they'll march around your tank all day long looking for stuff to eat. The one thing you should do however is get some spare shells. I'm not sure what the LFS was able to tell you, but hermit crab 101 here: hermit's need shells to change into. as they grow, the shell they're borrowing becomes too small, and they'll need to change into another one, whether it's an ampty one, one ocupied by another hermit, or even a snail shell- yes, I've lost astrea snails before to hermits.