Local Shrimp?

Would it be safe to keep local shrimp in my reef tank? Overall they are not much to look at but the question came up in conversation. I did not have the answer. I am not considering this, it is just a simple question. Knowing that the parameters such as Acclimation would take some time such as Mollies going into saltwater even though they are normally kept in Freshwater. The simple question is would they harm anything in my reef aquarium and would they live.

Yea i rather you not do it cause you dont know if the shrimp has any on board parasites and what not. and you might get flamed from the people on here cause your taking nature from its natural and putting it in your tank for your own pleasure yea... DONT !

bang guy

Originally Posted by crazyreefnut
http:///forum/post/2641075
Would it be safe to keep local shrimp in my reef tank? Overall they are not much to look at but the question came up in conversation. I did not have the answer. I am not considering this, it is just a simple question. Knowing that the parameters such as Acclimation would take some time such as Mollies going into saltwater even though they are normally kept in Freshwater. The simple question is would they harm anything in my reef aquarium and would they live.

The Shrimp would thrive in your tank. Unfortunately most species are opportunistic omnivores just like most crabs. If they can catch something they will eat it.
I had a couple Gulf Shrimp as hitchhikers that grew very large. They would bury in the sand bed until food was around and then they'd go nuts eating it.

payton 350

Originally Posted by Aquatica-Tech
http:///forum/post/2641089
you might get flamed from the people on here cause your taking nature from its natural and putting it in your tank for your own pleasure yea... DONT !

What do you think the majority of us are doing?(answ. taking from nature and putting it in our own tank for our own pleasure) Where do you think the LFS gets his stock from? A lot is Aquacultured but the majority is still wild.