Lois-Meowzer

teresaq

question-am I remembering right?? you tried Par 38 bulbs on one of your tanks??
If it was you- how many did you have and did you like them
T

teresaq

I found it, it was Spiderwoman in 08. lol and they were differant then the par 38s they were a screw in bulb but had like 28 leds
Quill- yah I saw his thread. I was looking at these bulbs last week. I would love to do my tank in these, but I am so sick of switching lighting on this tank. lol in almost 5 yrs, I have had t5s and MH. The mh are so hot, I only turn the middle one on right now. i dont have many corals in there so I just run one bulb and some small t5s for actinic. I wish I had kept the t5s
I like the leds, but dont have a clue how many I would need for a 72 inch - 25 inch deep tank. I also dont like the fact that I would have to have plugs for each light.

1guydude

it would get quite expensive me thinks... I like em every 6-8" for good even par...
Better off with a fixture style one teresa! Id get something with 40-60deg optics so u dont have to worry about getting the light to the bottom of the tank!

gemmy

The aqua illuminations systems are coming down in price. I have a feeling that next year the prices for LED's will get more competitive.

2quills

The only problem with those Par bulbs is that even though they are using cree leds, they are being driven at a pretty low current. Meaning they don't put out quite as much light as they could be. The do that to keep them cool on such a small space to help them last longer. So they might not be great on a deep tank if you are keeping some high light corals.
Agreed. The Aqua Illuminations fixtures used to be $600 and now they have dropped to $400 per fixture. The new Sol Pheonix fixtures that they just came out with are $500. Give or take a few bucks.

teresaq

Yah, I may just have to invest in a chiller instead. lol Lots to think about
Gemmy-cant wait to see your horse tank with this.

1guydude

wats with the pheonix one im bout to check that out...
ya i havent tried the orphek bulbs, or evil ones...the evil ones looks to be up to level with the ecoexotic one but less money.
I didnt pay much for the rapids one but it is the weakest....the rapids one i should have got the 60 deg optics! It is only being drivin by 2w...theyre 3w crees but powered down...i asked the guy i was dealing with, "how many watts they were"?
The orphek one looks good though...only 2w but they are spendy! They claim to be good and dimmable which none of the others are!
Im thinkin im gonna try em all! LOL
The one 12 led orphek bulb is like $200+

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388315/lois-meowzer#post_3423944
The only problem with those Par bulbs is that even though they are using cree leds, they are being driven at a pretty low current. Meaning they don't put out quite as much light as they could be. The do that to keep them cool on such a small space to help them last longer. So they might not be great on a deep tank if you are keeping some high light corals.
Agreed. The Aqua Illuminations fixtures used to be $600 and now they have dropped to $400 per fixture. The new Sol Pheonix fixtures that they just came out with are $500. Give or take a few bucks.
SAWEET, it's ganna be a great Christmas for me!! lol.
(think they will take coupons?)

acrylic51

I still think we'll see price gaps between the better units. You look at AI compared to the Radion's..... More options with theRadion so would be more than an AI unit, and if AI follows the pattern they would increase price.

2quills

Yeah and the technology keeps evolving and getting better. So unless companies are going to continue to build fixtures with the old stuff then I don't see fixtures really getting that much cheaper. I doubt Aqua illuminations will keep building the origional sol fixtures for to much longer. And those new pheonix fixtures you can tell they went on the cheap with them. They aren't quite as sleek looking as thier predessesors.