long island/5 boroughs ? ? ?

fishamajig

NICE. . . .
where do you go to get your supplies ? I am in the rocky point area. have you heard of a store called aqua hut? do you go there? and if not where do you go to get all of your stuff? and does anyone have any rock for sale?

grandmarm

we have been going to Country Critters. They are located on Route 112, south of Sunrise. They have nice fish & corals.
We just bought our first coral from them. We are new to this and learning as we go.
Where is the Agua Hut located?

fishamajig

country critters has a nice selection of corals and inverts. aqua hut is in the coram home depot shopping center on the corner of 112 and middle country road. Country critters has allot of nice stuff but i think they are WAY overpriced. I find aqua hut to have the best prices I can find around here.

grandmarm

thanks. going to try it. Might be worth going there. We live in Islip area. Country Critters is expensive but looks like they have healthy things.
we went to BTJ's. recently had a fire. looking for a new place.
Happy to find people from Long Island.
We bought this tank from somebody a few months ago. Bought fish all died except for the blue hippo and damsel and starfish that came with the tank.
Just got a clown fish and yellow polyps. Asked for something hard to kill. Taking it very slow now.

fishamajig

yea I just had a disaster with my first attempt at a reef tank. I added allot of rock at once and it had started a new cycle ( everything died) about 4-5 damsels and a small tomato clown but the snowflake eel lived. I think eels can live through just about anything. anyway tell me what you think of aqua hut if you get a chance to get there. I think they are really reasonable all you got to do is check the fish b4 u buy them they dont guarantee anything. well good luck with the tank.

aquaman

I live in Il now, but I am from Farmingdale. The places I went were. BTJ Jungle in Babylon good selection , Fin and feather in Bayshore - Ok if I remember right, and Charlie’s Aquarium in Lindenhurst, again a good selection. Of course i went all over the island to different places, but its been 4 1/2 years since i lived there I do not know what is around anymore. Reading about them and long Island makes me a bit home sick. Plus I have not found a good lfs here yet, But I am looking.

grandmarm

Fin & Feather closed up about a year ago. Shame went there for supplies.
About a month ago BTJ's burned down to the ground.
not doing to well with pet stores around Islip area.

aquaman

Originally posted by grandmarm
Fin & Feather closed up about a year ago. Shame went there for supplies.
About a month ago BTJ's burned down to the ground.
not doing to well with pet stores around Islip area.

WOW! It has been too long since I have been home.

civicracer

Aqua Hut is a really good LFS. They actually know what they're talkin about and their prices are really good. I have to agree about Country Critters they are very over priced. They have cool stuff but is it really worth it? I buy my supplies online if anyone wants the site email me - Civicracer12381@msn.com.

jjspati

its funny when your in the hobby your really are willing to travel around to see the stores. reading you guys made me not feel so weird about that. im in east meadow. any way ill agree country critters is good selection, healthy, overpriced. btj same. there is a new one in carle place just down the road from roosevelt field, i think its called aquarium place or somthing of the likes. they are my new fav. join as a club member for 20 bucks i think and you get 30% off live stock and occasional member specials. another in bayside called fishtown on northern and franny lewy. decent selection, wouldnt say the healthiest, and very cheap in price. usually have nice clown trigger sales for under 50 bucks. i bought one that was all white for 30. it was like 3 inches i think. it was just the environment. as soon as i took it home he lit up with color. never go to pets on hempstead turnpike, although they have cool porcupines, a sloth, and an occasional monkey. their stock has alway died on me. although time changes everything, but thats my experience.

fishamajig

the store in carle place you are thinking of is aquarium adventure. They have a really cool setup but again i think they are a little on the pricey side. I tink country critters is way worse. I went there today and saw a pair of harlequin shrimp for like $95.00
you got to be kidding me! anyway aquarium adventure is pretty cool and with the membership i saw yellow tangs for like $8.00 thats pretty good if you ask me. but they got a really cool setup and a nice selection of reef items.

lfd-143

Pet warehouse in Copaigue is good. It is on sunrise Hwy between 110 and Wellwood. Good for corals and not over priced. Their selection is not as good as Country critters but the prices are way better. I went to aqua hut a couple of times and their tanks were dirty, maybe they changed?

fishamajig

Naah I still think they have some nasty tanks but you have to weed through the bad stuff and find the diamond in the rough. Have some good prices on fish (if they are healthy) and really good prices on equip.

fishamajig

aquarium adventure has some really nice stands a bit on the pricy side. and there is a place up the road from me that has some nice stands called" brians tropical fish "in rocky point. they both might charge allot for them but i think they both have a nice selection. Aquarium adventure is a really big store though they might have a greater product range to suit your needs

grandmarm

finally got rid of the damsel. Tank has settled down. Blue hippo is ok starting over again with fish.
Want to get a pair of perc clowns. Any suggestions as to where
Country Critters wants $30 for one. I think that is high.
Once again, thanks for your help.

fishamajig

Thats what I am talking about that place they are theves. I saw them at aqua hut for like 13 or 14 bucks you can go to brians i think the price is the same but they are allot smaller. Aqua hut has them at a decent size.