long tenticle anemone

ettienem

Hi
I have 2 anemone in my 50gal tank. A green bubble anemone doing very well and in there for about a year. He is gorgeous loves the lights and grows pretty well. He also eats well. and my 2 perc's love him. Then I bought a LTA about 2 months ago. He confuses me.When the lights are on he looks small and not happy. When the lights are off he is huge open and you can see his whole stem bright rep and he looks healthy. Ive tried to feed him a couple of times but he is not interested in the food i give him(choppped up hake/kingklip)
Water is fine Na 0 Ni 0 ammonia 0 calcium 400mg/l ph 8.4
Is this normal, if not what could be the problem

crazyguy

it sounds oreety normal and u shouldnt keep more than 1 anemone in a tank. I had 2 anemines and the rose tip died.

T

thomas712

Depends on what lighting he came from, right now your lights might be stronger than what it was being kept in when you got it. Its a light acclimation thing going on. least thats what it sounds like to me.
Got a pic of it?
Thomas

sonewfish

How do you get an anemone to stay in one place? Can you use super glue? Mine is not roaming but keeps aiming itself at the rocks and won't secure itself to anything.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by SONEWFISH
How do you get an anemone to stay in one place? Can you use super glue? Mine is not roaming but keeps aiming itself at the rocks and won't secure itself to anything.

Some anemoens do suffer from wander lust. However if it feels it must move then you should let it, this could be a sign that it needs to be somewhere else for some reason. It could need more water flow, more light, better grazing ground so to speak. It will search out your tank for the right conditions for it, and should be allowed to do so.
If it is moving constantly then I would also check water peramiters, if you find nothing wrong with water then I would still do a water change.
Thomas