Longnose Butterfly died!!!

saltyfishy

OMG my longnose butterfly just died. He was swimming all over this morning then came home from school and boom. he was dead!!!
My perimiters are fine
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 7.8
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 78-79
This is my first saltwater fish to die on me ever since I start SW 2 years ago. I have had him for 4 or 5 months and he has been very healthy. Why did he die so sudden? Should I worry about my damsel and clown? Do fish just die sometimes? There is no sign of disease

S

supermanvx

Originally Posted by Saltyfishy
OMG my longnose butterfly just died. He was swimming all over this morning then came home from school and boom. he was dead!!!
My perimiters are fine
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Ph - 7.8
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 78-79
This is my first saltwater fish to die on me ever since I start SW 2 years ago. I have had him for 4 or 5 months and he has been very healthy. Why did he die so sudden? Should I worry about my damsel and clown? Do fish just die sometimes? There is no sign of disease

maybe he was stressed from being in such a small tank...or perhaps he wasnt eating right...but your ph seems kinda low.

v-lioness

Do fish just die sometimes?
When a fish suddenly dies after a few months/years you may never know why unless you or someone in your area can do an autopsy. It could have been a number of things, such as a pathogen and your fish was the host over the past few months/years, so even though your longnose did not show any physical signs, it may have been internal.
Love the longnose species, they are a truly beautiful fish and I am very sorry to hear about yours.
Kaye

brucewrs

I hear ya,My pink tail trigger just died..I found him behind my rocks.I dont know if he got stuck behind there.He was healthy and looked to be in good shape.

renogaw

ehh, take kidwicked's comments with a grain of salt.
the loss of a fish is something i have yet to go through, but i am sorry you lost your pet. i'd try to make sure you had the right size tank and the right kind of food. if its not eaten or flushed yet, see if you can bring it to a vet, or call and find out how much it would be.

cgrant

something seems to be taking your ph down, from what i have read on the butterfly fish they need prestine water quality and are difficult to keep in general.
1st I would take a small bucket of water and put it outside with a air pump for a couple of hours, if your ph goes up to ~8.2 then you need to get more fresh air into your home, winter's coming so thats always harder...cold and all.
I would also test for mag, ca, phos, alk.
If its not the lack of fresh air then something else is off but 1st things 1st.

hatessushi

Sorry for your loss.
I know that losing a pet doesn't matter if it's a fish or a cat or dog. You can just say "it's just a cat" or "it's just a dog". So saying "it's just a fish" is just as heartless.