Looking for any help that can be given...

brettmc

Well, i'm starting to look into the future at a newer bigger tank. I'm thinking about a 90 - 150g. Thats about as far as I have gotten. I want to use a sump for this, but I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how big of one, or what all it will need to do. So what all holes would have to be drilled? Where should they be drilled? Basically I'm looking for all the input someone could give me. Again, this is the first time i'm even looking into this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sleasia

I took a 150? tank and drilled it and made the overflow and filter and plumbing...if you want to see the thread go to equipment threads and search out the one called "DIY acrylic overflow on glass"
I forget who taught me to drill, probably turning tim? you can use a "roto zip" dremel style tile drill bit. when drilling you must run water over the cut at all times, and the glass must not be tempered or it will crack.......there are alot of threads explaining methods for drilling.

vanrynd

IMHO
GET THE LARGEST TANK YOUR ROOM (WIFE) ALLOWS
GET THE LARGEST SUMP THAT WILL FIT.
Same with the Skimmer.

There are plenty of pre-made acrylic (lighter and easier to drill) or glass sumps that are easy to purchase.
Just my advice. SPEND the MONEY and go at least 1 size larger than you think you want to!!!! ...or you will regret it in the long haul.