looking for good light to start soft coral and maybe lps

E

elord89

Already have some experience with fowlr I want to go a reef tank. I have a 72 g bow tank and I am running an I am looking for affordable lighting for soft coral and lps. I am not looking to go halide because I live in Cali and it gets pretty hot and I don’t have a chiller. thanks

cracker4418

t-5 is your only opposition if you dont want mh. but they will be comparible in price to metal mh of the same output

t316

I wouldn't skimp on your lights. If you want good corals, do it right. And I don't really think location is that big of an issue. You probably keep the inside temp of your house the same as I do on the East coast, so outside temp makes no difference. If you don't want a chiller, plan on some fans blowing on the water surface and keeping the tops off.

t316

There are literally hundreds of brands out there, anything from high-end names (for the big $) all the way to retro kits which you put together yourself. As far as wattage, I'm running (2) T12 actinics 6' long as well as (3) 250 w metal halides. That's 750w of mh's, but I have a 280g tank, so this might be overkill for you. Do a search on here for lighting and/or mh's. I remember seeing a chart that someone posted once.

schnutzzy

I also have a 72 bow front. Right now I'm running Corralife PC's (4) 65 watts. Those cost me 250.00. You can keep colt, xenia and a few others. I wanted to upgrade so I just ordered T5 Nova Extreme Pro 48" with (6) 54 watts. They say on here you can pretty much grow anything you want under these lights and I paid 361.00 shipped to my front door. I guess you have to pay now or if you really get into reefing you'll upgrade again like me and pay later. So if there is anyway to get the better lights now, you won't second guess later. Good luck.

t316

Originally Posted by schnutzzy
http:///forum/post/2555343
I guess you have to pay now or if you really get into reefing you'll upgrade again like me and pay later. So if there is anyway to get the better lights now, you won't second guess later. Good luck.

Well said schnutzzy

rotarygeek

t5s are great. might be overkill for a fowlr but it will look so much better and they are relativly cheap compaired to other options.

mojohoojo

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2555195
I wouldn't skimp on your lights. If you want good corals, do it right. And I don't really think location is that big of an issue. You probably keep the inside temp of your house the same as I do on the East coast, so outside temp makes no difference. If you don't want a chiller, plan on some fans blowing on the water surface and keeping the tops off.
Hi T3,
Wats ur everage Temp over there?

big

Originally Posted by schnutzzy
http:///forum/post/2555343
I also have a 72 bow front. Right now I'm running Corralife PC's (4) 65 watts. Those cost me 250.00. You can keep colt, xenia and a few others. I wanted to upgrade so I just ordered T5 Nova Extreme Pro 48" with (6) 54 watts. They say on here you can pretty much grow anything you want under these lights and I paid 361.00 shipped to my front door. I guess you have to pay now or if you really get into reefing you'll upgrade again like me and pay later. So if there is anyway to get the better lights now, you won't second guess later. Good luck.

I have the Nova Extreme Pro om my 72. These are very good for their price. Look at the "doctors" place for price, a little less than 350 bucks.........Good Luck .............

E

elord89

Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures
6 X 54 324 watt for $340
Are a little high for my budget so which would you go with as a supplement
Unless there is some where to get them cheaper
What about
nova extreme t-5
4 X 54 216 watts for $220
Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights
4 X 65 260 watts for 260
current dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures
4 X 65 260 watts for 220

mr_x

don't buy a compact flourescent fixture. you'll be buying over again in a short time.
the T-5 fixtures are only as good as the reflector. experts say that the T-5 fixtures that are best are the ones with individual
reflectors.
my best advice wouuld be to save up until you can afford the best fixture.
believe me, i've tried it the "economical" way time and time again- it just doesn't work.

nordy

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2556174
the T-5 fixtures are only as good as the reflector. experts say that the T-5 fixtures that are best are the ones with individual
reflectors.
my best advice wouuld be to save up until you can afford the best fixture.
believe me, i've tried it the "economical" way time and time again- it just doesn't work.
I agree about not going cheap with the lights-I didn't want to spend the bucks for MH and after doing a lot of research got the Nova Extreme Pro for my 55 and am very happy-all my corals seem real happy and it was 343, including shipping. It's a big chunk of change but I don't have any regrets and won't have to upgrade later.

big

Like others have said too, this is a very important purchace....... Save up till you can get the Extreme Pro...... It will be worth the wait.

E

elord89

Originally Posted by Nordy
http:///forum/post/2556276
it was 343, including shipping. It's a big chunk of change but I don't have any regrets and won't have to upgrade later.
*mod edit= you will need to google search for this information since this site is a buisness its against the rules to point you in the direction of a competitor.*