Looking For Pipefish Info

kevin34

Can anyone tell me about these cool fish? I would like to set up a species only tank for a few in the future. Whats their care level, minimum tank size, diet, coral safe, invert safe, what kind of flow they like, do they need a skimmer, diseases...etc... Any info like that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

poniegirl

I'm not sure if I've seen any pipefish keepers, yet...
I know only the basics. I believe these fish are wild caught and are difficult to feed because of that.
Seahorses were the same, some years ago, until folks began to "farm" them for sale.
Unless there are captive bred pipefish out there, my opinion would be "hard to keep".

seattle

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
I'm not sure if I've seen any pipefish keepers, yet...
I know only the basics. I believe these fish are wild caught and are difficult to feed because of that.
Seahorses were the same, some years ago, until folks began to "farm" them for sale.
Unless there are captive bred pipefish out there, my opinion would be "hard to keep".
I am going to be one soon :D Parents want me to make my 12 gal a seahorse and pipefish tank.

darthtang aw

You will have a hard time keeping the pipefish fed. If you had a bigger tank with lots of live rock and a plentiful supply of pods you would be fine. But they are difficult to get on frozen foods...You will have to cultivate or purchase live foods (brine shrimp) for them until you get the pipefish trained to frozen. This is going to be your biggest hurdle.

darthtang aw

Also in such a small tank I would discourage having wild caught pipefish wit TR or CB seahorses as the horses will become very suseptable to certain pathogens that the pipefish may carry from the wild as the horses have never encountered them before.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Also in such a small tank I would discourage having wild caught pipefish wit TR or CB seahorses as the horses will become very suseptable to certain pathogens that the pipefish may carry from the wild as the horses have never encountered them before.
good advice

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Seattle
Hmmm...Then i'll keep it to 2 Seahorses and maybe a False Percula Pair.
Sorry to say, a 12 gallon tank would be too small for either pair of those fish, much less all.
Have a look in the nano tank board, there will be a lot of great info for tanks of that gallonage.