Looking For Skimmer Help

casper1875

I know this is a loaded question. That's why I can't make up my mind. I have a 180 gallon tank with two corner overflows, Oceanic Reef Ready Model 3 Sump (50 or 55 gallon, can't remember). I'm going to use a Tidepool II for a refugium (if I can make it fit). I have a Supreme Mag-Drive 18 pump. My RO/DI unit should be here on Tuesday. Now I have to decide on a protein skimmer. I have $500.00 max to spend. I was looking at the Octopus Pro 250 NW. I've gone over thread after thread and I'm more confused then ever. Acrylic vs plastic (acrylic better quality), airflow, pumps, noise, height, footprint..... Who knows?
I just want to do this right the first time. When I set up my 75 I kept replacing things and spending more money than I should have. I just can't do this on the 180 gallon.
There is only 25" from the base of the stand to the bottom of the aquarium. That does not include the thickness of the sump, maybe a 1/2". This is what is most important to me:
1. I want really good water quality
2. Easy set up
3. Not alot of noise
What do I buy?

bioneck47

+1 for the msx 200. I have one in my 250 and it's perfect so it will be perfect for your 230. Just google MSX skimmers and you will find the online store that sells it. There's only one place you can get them. I'd post it but that's against the rules. Here's a hint: first word starts with an M, second word starts with an S...

bioneck47

Wow backordered again, I had to wait 3 months to get mine. Hey casper, if you don't want to wait my second choice would be the Octo pro. I've never owned one but I've heard nothing but good things about them, and its' design is similar to a Bubble King (the best skimmer around IMO). You can't go wrong either way you go.

mr_x

i just read a thread on another popular reef forum about these skimmers. apparently, the pumps are giving people some trouble.

joncat24

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2686323
i just read a thread on another popular reef forum about these skimmers. apparently, the pumps are giving people some trouble.
I havent heard anything about pump problems..what are you referring to?

joncat24

I know the thread you are talking about, I post in it also.
The problem with the mesh is, that alot of people try to get too aggressive with the mesh and it rubs the volute cover on the pump. If they just stay with the 3 layers, and tie it down tight, there is no problem with it.

mr_x

not the mesh...the "machining". also one guy reported a chip out of the magnet as well.

joncat24

wow, you are way back in that thread. The machining on the first generation was not very good.
They are on the third generation of these skimmers now.
The pumps are the exact same ones used on the ATI skimmers. They are great pumps and the machining and mesh on them is alot better done now.

mr_x

you just said "I havent heard anything about pump problems"
and then you said "The machining on the first generation was not very good
"
do you own stock in that company?

joncat24

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2686486
you just said "I havent heard anything about pump problems"
and then you said "The machining on the first generation was not very good
"
do you own stock in that company?
Thats because the problems you mentioned are way old. There are no problems with the pumps, just a few hiccups with the original mesh jobs and machining of the impellars. The pumps themselves are perfectly fine.
No, I dont own anything to do with that company. I just recommend the skimmers cause they are great skimmers

snakeblitz33

I know they're a new product, but bermuda protein skimmers are pretty decent for the cost. A bermuda 3c would to wonders for a 180 gallon, but if you have the 500 dollar spending limit, I would go with the 5c. (the price does not include a mag drive 12 pump to run it.
They're definately worth it. They maintain constant air and water injection into the main body. The only thing is that after feeding oily foods, the bubbles in the chamber vary from small to large, but the oil is still skimmed out. I'm selling around 12 a week! PM me if you want to know more about them from my personal experience.