Looking for some reasureance....

xlr8

... and some advice. I'm still in the planning/research phase of saltwater. But I've hit a snag. At first I was dead set on a biocube. Now, after looking at stuff and seeing lots of other tanks, I'm now starting to lean to a 20 gallon tank, building it with components I select. Here's my problem: as a noob, am I heading into a bad decision with a nano sized tank? I know that they are more challenging. I do want to start with a FOWLR, then as I gain knowledge and experience, slip into corals nice and easy(hahaha). A lot of people have somewhat discouraged me by saying that nanos are not for the newbies. I don't have a ton of money or space in my living room for 55+ gal. tanks.
Advise...comments...encouragement...constructive critizism...anything would be great from the great experianced ones. Thanks !!!!

meowzer

Originally Posted by xlr8
http:///forum/post/3025314
... and some advice. I'm still in the planning/research phase of saltwater. But I've hit a snag. At first I was dead set on a biocube. Now, after looking at stuff and seeing lots of other tanks, I'm now starting to lean to a 20 gallon tank, building it with components I select. Here's my problem: as a noob, am I heading into a bad decision with a nano sized tank? I know that they are more challenging. I do want to start with a FOWLR, then as I gain knowledge and experience, slip into corals nice and easy(hahaha). A lot of people have somewhat discouraged me by saying that nanos are not for the newbies. I don't have a ton of money or space in my living room for 55+ gal. tanks.
Advise...comments...encouragement...constructive critizism...anything would be great from the great experianced ones. Thanks !!!!
In this case...Bigger is BETTER
...IMO I would get the biggest one I could afford or that I had room for

jimvette1

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3025316
In this case...Bigger is BETTER
...IMO I would get the biggest one I could afford or that I had room for
Oh, this is so true.

BIG +1
Present tank is a 46 bow, I am in the process of installing my new 90 gallon in wall, just don't have room for a bigger one.

pezenfuego

Bigger is more forgiving, so for a first tank, it would be a pretty good idea.. I have no doubt in my mind that if you do the proper research, you can keep a 20 gallon tank. It's up to you though dude.

florida joe

Never underestimate your own ability. Read, research then come up with a plain and post it. This is not the matrix

meowzer

I'm not as experienced or as old as some of the people on here, I was not saying that you could not do a 20g....BUT from my experience, I think once you get into it you will want more....A 20g is very limiting as to fish.. although I have seen some 20g tanks with lots of beautiful corals.....

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3025331
Never underestimate your own ability. Read, research then come up with a plan-PEZ and post it. This is not the matrix
Prove it...
my friend.
I agree though, anyone can accomplish anything through Christ who strengthens me.

salt210

for the smaller tanks it is going to be very important to stay on top of things. as stated above go the biggest that you can. you will want to do that anyways not just because you are limited now. I started with a 210 and now dream of having a much larger system once we get our own place.

oceansidefish

I would agree on getting the largest tank you can reasonably fit in the space...A 40g tank is not much bigger, but will give you a whole new world of options

T

tfolke1

The individual lights, filtration, amount of rock, amount of sand, etc. all increase in cost as you move to a bigger tank. The Rock and Sand you can take with you when you upgrade, the lights and filter are usually not enough for the new bigger tank. The cost of Rock alone can more than double going from a Nano to a 20 Gallon tank. Since you are on a budget, you will need to consider the cost of the entire upgrade, not just the tank itself. then add 20% for stuff that you haven't thought of or did wrong. If you can afford the bigger setup and have the room go for it. If not, start with something smaller.
Research the fish that you want to start with and use that to determine your ideal starting tank size. If you can't keep the fish that you want, you will be driven to upgrade right away.
Here is the Key for Saltwater fish- Everybody moves up, few people downsize.
A lot of the equipment is rated for the size of tank that it will support or the amount of water that it will service. Because of this there are a lot of good deals on perfectly good small and midsize used setups available if you look in the traditional Used sale places.
Since you have stated that you want to start with fowlr, you do not absolutely need to have top of the line coral growing lights, or a filter that will keep the water absolutely pristine.
to start
however within 6 months you will want to keep everything under the sun and be looking to upgrade everything that you bought anyway. If you are starting small, I'd look into a solid used set-up. Save the money for the new stuff for when you are lying in bed at night dreaming of getting a bigger tank that will allow you to get the fish that you do not realize that you absolutely have to have. Yet.
And make sure you check out the equipment section of the message boards. You will learn a lot about what is good, what is bad, and why you might want to avoid some setups.

oceansidefish

Originally Posted by xlr8
http:///forum/post/3025314
Honestly if you can get a cube set-up used they are not a bad deal. However getting a new one???? You are better off buying a regular tank and equipment...