Looking for wisdom on Long Island

jcnflies

Hi Guys,
Already I have received a lot of help at this forum, so I'm back to shamelessly ask for more.
In a couple of weeks, I plan on starting a sw tank (I have done Africans and tropheus for a few years.) The first thing I learned when I strated Africans is that I wish I would have met some of the experienced fish keepers early on. So, in an effort to save myself a lot of aggravation........ does anyone know of any solid resources (experience as well as goods) in and around Long Island, NY. Thank you very much and I hope I can one day return the favor.

nazz13

I'm not sure where on long island you are but try tropical showcase on old country rd in hicksville.Gene is the owner very knowledgable and wont rip u off.He has helped me for a long time.

teen

in suffolk county: aqua hut has the cheapest prices in suffolk, and they are very nice knowledgeable people.
in queens: fishtown usa is a great affordable place for dry goods and corals. i dont really trust there fish because they sell so many that there are a lot of fish diseases coming in and out of there tanks every week. also, the staff is there to just sell you stuff, but they do have a good selection of dry goods, inverts, and corals with good prices.

jcnflies

Thx. Either of you guys ever hear of Fishy, Inc. In Bayshore? i heard there is a club meeting over there. Any other sw clubs on LI?

dragonzim

Dont have any info on clubs or anything, but like was said before, Aqua Hut in Coram is very good. They have great prices and the owner, Don is very knowlegeable. You can also look at Country Critters in Patchogue. They are expensive but the owner Steve and a guy named John that work there are very good. CC also has some of the nicest fish I've seen anywhere. You can also check out Mutt's & Butts in Merrick if you are in Nassau.

my way

Do a search for Manhatten Reefs. It's a club, obviously from Manhatten. I'd bet there are members from L.I..

teen

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Dont have any info on clubs or anything, but like was said before, Aqua Hut in Coram is very good. They have great prices and the owner, Don is very knowlegeable. You can also look at Country Critters in Patchogue. They are expensive but the owner Steve and a guy named John that work there are very good. CC also has some of the nicest fish I've seen anywhere. You can also check out Mutt's & Butts in Merrick if you are in Nassau.
i do like country critters also, but they will sell you anything, just to make some money.
ive been to fishy a few times, but never bought anything because it always seems like hes renevating. either getting new lights, new tanks, or just maintanence. i will be going there in the future though, just to see if he has his act together yet.

drew2005

I usually get my livestock from Mutts N Butts. They have good quality fish and decent corals. A bit pricey but worth the trip there. AnimalTailz on hempstead tpke in Bethpage is pretty good also. Used to be Pets but they sold it. When i was there about 2 months ago they were in the process of setting up a room specifically for corals. They're renting the room to a local reefer. Dunno if its done yet. Tropical showcase is ok. I didnt like the way the tanks looked. Everything seemed thrown around. Aqua Hut has good prices but too far for me. FishTown USA is good also. They have a nice amount of stock.