Looking into starting this Hobby

bellabo

Wow...... lots of usefull info. My head is spinning and has swelled up. TXS guys. I know what I would like to do but would like to do it right the first time. Don't want to waste alot of money and time with constant upgrades. I'm a DYI kinda guy. Just need help getting started in the right direction. Would like to try FOWLR and reef. Im patient so I am willing to start slow. I'm located in PSL FL.

lion_crazz

Awesome! Welcome to SWF.com!! We are all here to help and if you have any questions, just post them!!

tangs123

questions are the best thing on this board because it spreads lots of knowledge...
so ask away because it is benefiting everybody

bellabo

I'm confused on all the piping for overflows water circulation refugiums ect. How does one go about drilling hole in a glass tank? I live close to SWF and would like to stop by and give um a visit.

lion_crazz

A hole saw is used to drill the back or sides. Many tanks are tempered glass, so you cannot drill the bottom. This is why it is best to buy a reef ready tank, that has an overflow box already installed in it.

metweezer

Originally Posted by Bellabo
http:///forum/post/2712941
I'm confused on all the piping for overflows water circulation refugiums ect. How does one go about drilling hole in a glass tank? I live close to SWF and would like to stop by and give um a visit.

Good luck finding the place
There is no store there. Just a warehouse and they are not open to the general public. Been there done that. They are mail order only.

teresaq

I agree with buying a reef ready tank. buy the biggest you can afford. keep an eye out in the classifieds here, there are many nice tanks that may already have most of the equipment you may need. Good luck and welcome to the boards.
T

bellabo

Thanks all for the quick relies. My heads is spinning from all the info. being absorbed. I will have to make a outline of goals and needs. Looks like it won't be hard to be side tracked. I don't know anyone who has SWF as of yet. So I take the leap of faith when getting started.

bellabo

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2712991
Good luck finding the place
There is no store there. Just a warehouse and they are not open to the general public. Been there done that. They are mail order only.
Oh darn it thought it would be neat to check it out. Mainly for the learning experince.

My suggestion is to research the berlin method. You will save money and it will be easy and more cost efficient to install. I am going this direction after relying on lfs to suggest a method and then learning later. I am so impressed with bionic balance and I don't have the proper set up yet. FYI: I don't have unhealthy situations now and I don't have the best system yet. My system is less than ideal. I actually have what most would think to be a terrible situation and my fish are healthier than ever. I am running my tank with no skimmer. This has been going on since June. I am just running a fluval filter. Before I was running a skimmer and the filter and my fish were very sick. This was withour bionic balance. My fish don't care because of the proper balance. However, this isn't ideal.. I am just waiting for an insurance settlement and then I will install a berlin system. My skimmer flooded my house and the insurance company is paying for new carpet on both floors and drywall replacement on the ceiling. Should get the settlement this week.

maryg

Originally Posted by Bellabo
http:///forum/post/2712901
Wow...... lots of usefull info. My head is spinning and has swelled up. TXS guys. I know what I would like to do but would like to do it right the first time. Don't want to waste alot of money and time with constant upgrades. I'm a DYI kinda guy. Just need help getting started in the right direction. Would like to try FOWLR and reef. Im patient so I am willing to start slow. I'm located in PSL FL.
Hi
I live in PSL also. I am also new to SWF. I just started my first tank almost 4 weeks ago. I also picked up a 29Gal. I got them both on craigslist. Be careful though. There is a person who sell SW fish tanks on there that you may need to be aware of. He got me! You can send me a private message if you like. This is a great place for answers for us newbies! I got a couple of great books from our local library.

alix2.0

hi! welcome to the board & the hobby!

#1 in this hobby: get stuff used. you have to do a little looking around, but you can get some amazing deals on perfectly good stuff. lots of people get into the hobby and then decide that it isnt for them, and they sell their stuff CHEAP. ive gotten a 55 and a 75 both loaded with equipment for $40.
also, if you are having trouble with the plumbing & sump/fuge stuff, visit your LFS & ask around. IME theres almost always someone there that can be EXTREMELY helpful in that department.

keebler

1. Research fishless cycling and patience is INCREDIBLY important.
2. Research EVERY piece of equipment before you buy it. Buying used it excellent.
3. Get a budget and figure out what you can afford. Like alix said, the bigger the tank, the better. Making a small mistake in a big tank is no problem, but making a small mistake in a tiny tank could be detrimental.
4. Ask any questions you have, no matter how stupid, we have no lives and it will give us something to do.
5. Learn from your mistakes, don't get discouraged, try try again, yada yada yada.
Have some fun.