Looking to start my 1st saltwater tank

Jeff Smith

I am looking to start a small 10 gallon saltwater aquarium. I want to start small to make sure I know what I am doing before upgrading. I could really use your advice. Right now my thought is to use *****'s real ocean water to cut down on my down time. I have also got Live Aragonite reef sand along with 8lbs of live rock. I have a basic 30 gallon on the back filter system and a 30 gallon air pump to help move the water, along with a 30 gallon heater, and a basic Led light hood. I would like to hear any input on my choices. and any ideas I should use going forward thanks for the help.

silverado61

In the saltwater world, as far as experience in the hobby goes, you "upgrade" from a larger tank to a smaller tank because the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep stable and the quicker things can go wrong. The larger the tank, the more water volume, the easier it is to keep stable. When something starts to go wrong, it does so slower and gives you a greater chance to find and fix the problem before it gets out of hand.
My advice is to start with a larger tank, as large as you can possibly afford. Use the 10g as a quarantine tank for your fish once the main tank cycles.
Ditch the air pump. It really has no place in a saltwater tank. It could create micro bubbles that'll get stuck in the fishes gills.

There's a thread in the New Hobbyist section written by snakeblitz that gives you wonderful advice and links to get you started. I bumped it up to the top of the list to make it easier for you to find. Read that, then come back and ask the ton of questions you'll have.

BTW: Welcome to saltwaterfish.com

Always learning.

jay0705

In the saltwater world, as far as experience in the hobby goes, you "upgrade" from a larger tank to a smaller tank because the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep stable and the quicker things can go wrong. The larger the tank, the more water volume, the easier it is to keep stable. When something starts to go wrong, it does so slower and gives you a greater chance to find and fix the problem before it gets out of hand.
My advice is to start with a larger tank, as large as you can possibly afford. Use the 10g as a quarantine tank for your fish once the main tank cycles.
Ditch the air pump. It really has no place in a saltwater tank. It could create micro bubbles that'll get stuck in the fishes gills.

There's a thread in the New Hobbyist section written by snakeblitz that gives you wonderful advice and links to get you started. I bumped it up to the top of the list to make it easier for you to find. Read that, then come back and ask the ton of questions you'll have.

BTW: Welcome to saltwaterfish.com

Always learning.
+1

beaslbob

I would add macro algaes as the very first thing after adding the saltwater. Best in a refugium.

but that's just me and my .02

Jeff Smith

thanks for the feedback. I have been reading snakeblitz advice and was researching a tank so small and was wondering if in the 10 gallon tank do i need a powerhead and a protein skimmer??? i have heard i do and i don't so any advice on this issue???

jay0705

Good quality live rock loaded w life, live sand, if possible a filter cartridge from an existing tank for your hob. These things help stabilize the tank. I have a 20 gal w 40lbs of rock, 15lbs live sand, hob filter. Its a gem of tank. Now first time, new to the game. Water volume is your friend. Bigger is easier, plus it allows u a ton more types of fish u can keep.

dangerfish

the only thing i have to receded is for your first tank get 29g because its not to small or big and plus that's whet im going to start on because im working getting a saltwater fish tank too im just gaining right now so good luck to you with your fish tank.

silverado61

I still say a 50-55g. Anything smaller would just be hard to keep stable till you gain experience. A lot of people start off with a small tank thinking it's less expensive or easier to keep and then get discouraged if/when things don't go as planed and then walk away from the hobby. Resulting in money down the drain so to speak. It really doesn't cost much more to start with a larger tank.

jay0705

I still say a 50-55g. Anything smaller would just be hard to keep stable till you gain experience. A lot of people start off with a small tank thinking it's less expensive or easier to keep and then get discouraged if/when things don't go as planed and then walk away from the hobby. Resulting in money down the drain so to speak. It really doesn't cost much more to start with a larger tank.
Agreed. I had my big tank for yr b4 I went smaller

flower

thanks for the feedback. I have been reading snakeblitz advice and was researching a tank so small and was wondering if in the 10 gallon tank do i need a powerhead and a protein skimmer??? i have heard i do and i don't so any advice on this issue???
Seth (Snakeblitz) is an expert, and he could run a 2g tank if he wanted to. A 10g is IMO an expert only SW tank.

The ability to keep saltwater tanks has come a long way. Many folks start with a 29g tank, with much success, and lots of work. The knowledge gained from having to check the parameters and up-keep on water changes on that size tank are good learning experiences, and with the on-line info available, and this site for help, it's quite doable.

No matter the size tank, you must have good water flow, SW has less oxygen then freshwater, so you do NEED a power head. A skimmer is a good piece of equipment to have, but not a deal breaker to not have one. I like macroalgae, and turf scrubbers, although it seems like a lot of extra work... are the best and cheapest method to keep parameters stable.