Lost almost all my corals.......

tx reef

I never thought I would be posting this, but it is entirely my fault.
During the 3 weeks before Thanksgiving, I was at work until 9:00pm every night and even was working on the weekends. Thanksgiving night, I get a bad pain in my lower right abdomen and get my appendix taken out the next day.
During all of this time no water changes have been done on my tank, which wouldn't have been a problem, except that my skimmer overflowed. I had the top of the skimmer cup just sitting on top, not snapped on. So, all of the skimmate (an entire skimmer cup full from an ETSS Reef Devil) went into my tank at some point and I didn't notice it until Thursday night.
Also, my wife is not the best at adding the proper amount of alk. buffer to the auto top off bucket, so my alk. was slightly low for weeks.
I am just now able to get around good since the appendectomy, and I had some water made up for a change, but it was too late.
As of Friday morning, I had lost almost every coral in my tank. I still have some zoos, S. Bennet Acro, a bright lime green acro, and a purple tipped acro.
Everything else was lost to RTN. I lost a superman monti, atlantis pink polyped cap, pokerstar monti, leng sy monti cap, a huge tabling acro, and three other very large acro colonies.
I can't even stand to look at my tank right now....but after Christmas when I can afford it, I will buy a frag pack or hopefully get a good deal on some large colonies and pretty much start over.
At least I didn't lose everything........

grabbitt

Ouch... I have had two tank crashes in the last year, one of which (fortunately) was only a 3 gallon pico. I'm very sorry to hear about your losses, but I'm glad to see that it has not discouraged you to the point of quitting. Good luck with the start-up after the holiday

trippkid

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about this disaster. Good luck getting everything back in order. Hope some things start to go your way. I hope you are back to 100% soon, if not there yet. Head up and soldier on.

Matt

yosemite sam

Sorry to hear it! I've had to go through a tank crash as well, and it's never fun, but as my friend said, those who loose everything and can start again are the true reefers! Good luck!

isistius

that totally sucks. i had my appendix out in 92. still remember it like it was yesterday.
i can't believe what happened. for as hardy and strong all of those corals are in the wild, it is amazing how easily they succumb to minute changes in their enclosed replicated environments. very soory to hear that.
pm me after xmas, and maybe i can help you out.

jonthefishguy

As I am your secret santa, I hope that my gift will help you on your way to your new start. But I will not send it until your tank is ready for it as I wouldn't want you to lose this as well. If and when your tank is ready, let me know and I will ship it your way. In the meantime, it will continue to sit here and become more and more colorful and larger.

murph145

hey Tx sorry to hear about that!
you know i have that pink polypd cap we traded for a while back it has grown pretty large your more than welcome to a frag of it and some of my other corals if you want down the road.

tx reef

Originally Posted by dmcrete
as i am your secret santa reciever,, i am sorry to hear about your disaster,,
so sad

I still have something to send you....don't worry.

ifirefight

TX...I am sorry to hear you had a crash.... I also let my wife be responsible for certian things...when I am away..I always worry she will mess it up...Keep the faith and build it bigger and better than it was.

teen

meh, happens to the best of us. just get the tank back on track and pick up a few more corals when you can.

t316

TX, or others, sorry for this loss...but you can help the rest of us. What the heck happened here? I know the lack of water change for 3 wks. didn't cause this. Sounds like the overflow. I don't "snap" my lid on either b/c it's such a hassle to get off with wet hands. But r u saying this is what caused the scum to overflow back into the sump????

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by ifirefight
TX...I am sorry to hear you had a crash.... I also let my wife be responsible for certian things...when I am away..I always worry she will mess it up...Keep the faith and build it bigger and better than it was.

im scared to leave my girlfriend in charge...so when i leave the only thing she has to do is add water and nothing else...i try to give it everything it needs or i can before i leave so she has to do nothing but the water....lol...last time i did i lost shrimp, crabs, fish, coral

jonthefishguy

Hell, I think I have done 2 water changes in mine since it has been set up. I simply continue to add trace elements and test. Something went array in your tank and it happened fast apparently.

eastland

Man, I feel for you...I lost 1/3 tank due to red flatworms & flatworm exit, and I did follow the instructions to the tee. Our fragile environments only take a few hours to deteriorate. If I'm ever in that situation, my wife would help the best she could...but I would simply tell her to lookup the LFS and have them come over :)

tinmanny

Tx hope you are feeling better and on the road to full recovery.
as for the tank real sad but good reefers just start over and do it better the second time. I think the saddest thing is that once a reef starts to go over the edge it is almost impossible to stop without major loss and all you can do is watch all yout time and efforts go down the drain. The only thing we can take from it is experience and assure it does not happin again
well good luck I am shure that you will have more with outstanding looks
Manny
If you can watch all you have built crumble and fall And stupe to build them up again with warn out tools then yours is the earth my son and everything in it and whats more you are a man
my son

petjunkie

Wow, that's awful. Switch to lps and softies, I have no fear neglecting or leaving my tank, they seem to live through anything but sps is so touchy. Sucks to lose all that coral that you watched and helped grow, just gone that fast. Don't blame it on you either, you can't help medical emergencies, what more could you have done, told the hospital to wheel you over to instruct people on tank care?