lost half of my corals

nycbob

just came back from a 1 week cruise, only to find out half of the corals r dead. all of my sps r gone except 1. for whatever reason the protein skimmer stopped working during the trip, and i had my foxface died during that time. my beloved green and red caps, acros and birdnest of 2+ years r all done. just wanted to share my story. on the plus side, my cruise was awesome!

speg

Can you really blame it on a protein skimmer not working? I'd suspect that it was something else that would cause deaths.
Sorry to hear that :(

nycbob

protein skimmer shouldnt cause the massive wipeout, but then again who knows. there wasnt any power outage bc the timer is still right. i did water change and ran carbon so things should get better. if anything, i can now start adding corals again, bc it was quite crowded b4 with the growth. my tank actually looks cleaner and more open now. thanx for the sympathy.

reefkprz

ahh man. sorry to hear about it. such a tragedy.
acrylic didnt think you came round here anymore

spanko

Sorry to hear. Did the flame angel survive? If the foxface died could the resulting ammonia spike have cause the demise of the SPS?

mrdc

Well that sucks. I'm going on a cruise in July but we have a house sitter when we go on trips. However, something always seems to still happen while I am away.

nycbob

couldnt hv been the ammonia, bc all the other fish were fine. there is a piece of red cap that could be saved since its got some tissue on it. the 1 foot wide green cap is a goner, and so r all the acros and montis. at least the dead sps make good liverocks. i just dont know what happend, bc i hv gone on trips b4. very very weird.

btldreef

That sucks!
Glad to hear that you had a good vacation.
I can't wait to see what you do with the tank now!