Lots of questions

dolphena

Ok, i plan on starting my first tank in a bit, i just want to first think about which equipment i need. I would have a 60gal. tank, first it will be just a fowlr, than eventually a reef. I want a 5in dsb using ls (could i have a mixture of live and dead sand?) and 50-60 lbs of lr. For filtration, I want a really good skimmer (suggestions?) and should i also get another kind, if so what kind? How many powerheads and any recommendations? What type of heater? And i plan to upgrade my lights when i get corals. Thanks for helping in advance, i know there are lot of ?s, but i want to be prepared.:)

stacyt

You can mix LS and dead sand. Just make sure the dead sand is not silica based. Argonite is what to look for.
As far as filtration and skimmer is the tank going to have an overflow. I would recommend one. Then you could put the filtration, heater, and skimmer below the tank. Also could add on a refugium. Skimmers can get pretty pricey for a good one. I would just say get the best that you could afford. Anything decent will cost at least a couple hundred.
For powerheads I would use 4 maxijet 1200's.

cincyreefer

Yes, you can use ls and dead sand. I would recommend getting a SeaClone skimmer. Powerheads depend on the setup... I like to set up a rio pump connected to a pvc pipe drilled with holes that runs the length of the bottom back of the tank so you can run a good flow from the back of the tank through live rock. Heater can be any kind as long as it has an internal thermostat. Lighting will just depend on exactly what kind of corals you want to go with, and how much $$$ you want to spend.

jarvis

I would say your off to a good start. IMO I would go with just live rock, DSB and a skimmer. for circulation you should shoot for about 8 to 10 times for turnover of a reef tank. More the better. I have about 2200 gph on my 150 gal tank (and considering adding a little more) . As far as an overflow I would look into drilling the tank for a built in overflow, If you have any desire to add a refigum and a sump. It just makes the system look so much cleaner having the heaters and skimmer in you sump. With some creative plumbing you can make your water changes almost automatic.