Low pH in cycling tank

jds61403

My tank has been cycling for about a week and 1/2 and my pH has steadily fallen to about 7.8. I'm cycling with live rock from SWF and I'm wondering if it is okay to add some buffer to raise it. I don't want to kill off my live rock inhabitants. What do you guys think? Also, I'm not getting an ammonia spike yet (below 1.0). Do I need a shrimp too? :thinking:
Thanks!

drew2005

Originally Posted by jds61403
My tank has been cycling for about a week and 1/2 and my pH has steadily fallen to about 7.8. I'm cycling with live rock from SWF and I'm wondering if it is okay to add some buffer to raise it. I don't want to kill off my live rock inhabitants. What do you guys think? Also, I'm not getting an ammonia spike yet (below 1.0). Do I need a shrimp too? :thinking:
Thanks!
No need to add chemicals while cycling. I remember reading that ph could be low during cycle and eventually raise itself toward the end. Id wait a few more days. If your not getting a significant spike then you could feed the tank.

teen

are you running the lights? i know when you turn your lights off at night, your Ph drops, so if you dont have lights on, that might be the reason