Low PH

brendac

What makes the PH wanna be low? I just put Proper PH 8.2 in the 30g like 3 days ago and now it reads at 7.8 My PH always needs PH plus?? Is that hard water? I filled my 30g from my tap and put a conditioner in, My 125g is getting RO water

ophiura

Do not add pH buffer unless you have an alkalinity reading "PH" buffers are alkalinity buffers, and if you are not following alkalinity readings, as well as calcium, things can really get out of shape by adding pH buffer. I strongly encourage you to get a calcium and alkalinity reading immediately, and do not any more so called 'pH' buffer until you know you need it.
What circulation do you have in the tank? Do you have glass tops on the tank? Not all pH problems are fixed by buffers.

cgrant

Originally Posted by ophiura
Do not add pH buffer unless you have an alkalinity reading "PH" buffers are alkalinity buffers, and if you are not following alkalinity readings, as well as calcium, things can really get out of shape by adding pH buffer. I strongly encourage you to get a calcium and alkalinity reading immediately, and do not any more so called 'pH' buffer until you know you need it.
What circulation do you have in the tank? Do you have glass tops on the tank? Not all pH problems are fixed by buffers.

Hi, Just wondering why you asked about the glass tops?
Are they a good or bad thing?

hurt

Glass tops are bad. They don't let the tank "breathe". This traps the CO2 causing pH to lower. If fresh air is not allowed to mix with the water, pH will drop. Some people have gone as far as to take the venturi input on their skimmer and run it outside. This ensures fresh air will always be mixing with your water to help prevent low pH.

reefnut

Originally Posted by BrendaC
I have a calcium kit coming and a KH kit... Is that Ok?
What are your calcium and alkalinity readings??