LR for a 55g

puffer9006

how much LR is good for a 55g i have about 15lb in thier so far but i did not no if i should order 20lbs or the 12lbs or even the 50lbs from swf.

blazehok68

I Have About 80-90 Lbs In My 55. But That Is Also My Main Source Of Filtration. I Dont Buy Into All The Bio Balls And Suppliment Crap. All Natural With A 8-10 Gal Fuge. 7 Powerheads And A Protein Skimmer. Plus I Like A Lot Of Caves And Ledges And Stuff. I Say The More Lr The Better!

N

nereef

Originally Posted by puffer9006
how much LR is good for a 55g i have about 15lb in thier so far but i did not no if i should order 20lbs or the 12lbs or even the 50lbs from swf.
LR is a pretty big part of any SW tank. a good rule for LR is 1-2 pounds/gallon.. i would order the 50 lbs and then be done.

fisherson

only things about ordering 50lbs is you might get a bunch of crappy peices that don't build up very well...i was lucky and got a good shipment but i've read on the boards before that people we horrified at the rocks they got..big round chunks of rock or a whole bunch of rubble so i'd check out some feedback on whoever your ordering from.

puffer9006

i plan to order fom this site has anybody ordered 50lbs from here. and if so can i add it all at once. and just take the fish out intill i have it all done.

N

nereef

i would get a big plastic tub from wal mart. put some new SW in it. scrub the rock and let it set in the tub with a powerhead until after its done with the ammonia spike.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by puffer9006
i thought they were precured though.
here's the thing. that rock is getting shipped a pretty long way. it isn't shipped in water, its shipped in wet newspaper. there will be some die off on the rock. this means that part of what makes live rock "alive"(it contains many different organisms) will not make the shipping. so if you put that in your tank, there may be some problems. there might be an ammonia spike in the tank, pH might drop, nitrates might be raised. however, you could let that cycle happen in a rubbermaid tub. that's what i would do. you could add the rock and not experience significant problems, but i wouldn't.

puffer9006

what should i get for that. a big tub, a power head, and a heater. should i get some type of filter or just let it sit there.lastly should i put a light over the rock. thanks for the help