LR in a QT?

benj420

Is it Ok to put LR in my QT tank for new arrivals, or should I just stick with PVC?
A better question might be does LR carry fish diseases?
If I QT new arrivals and then find that they need treatment, but take the LR out first, will the LR carry the disease (any disease) with it? Leaving the LR in the QT during treatment is obviously not an option.
I guess the reasons I want to use LR is to provide additional biological filtration and to offer a more natural habitat than PVC.
If I use PVC only and no sand bed, how often should I do a water change to maintain "excellent water conditions"? How do you QT a fish that likes a well established tank? like angels or mandarin? Just keep the QT up and running for a long time before hand?
Edited - OK, I just re-read the FAQ and found where it says it's ok to use rubble, but don't return it to your main tank. What do you do with it?
Also, with no LS or LR, doesn't the introduction of a new fish greatly increase the bioload in the QT and trigger a cycle or mini cycle?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Generally, you want to add only 1 fish to the QT at a time, unless you are getting schooling fish.
You can cycle a new QT with LR, before putting any fish in there, return the LR back to the display. LR with coraline, etc., won't do very well without the requisite lighting.

S

simm

Benj. I use pvc. I have a couple of different pieces in my QT tank. Seems to work well and the fish love hiding in it.