LR in QT?

roggy23

is it a good idea to cure LR in a hospital tank as long as no fish or corals are in it? Also after a water change will it be ok after the rock is removed to Quarantine fish after?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If the QT has ever had medications in it, then no it is not a good idea. Definately NO, if the QT ever had copper in it.
If the QT might have fish diseases in it, then no it is not a good ideal.
If the QT has only been used for hyposalinity or housing new fish, then it would be OK. Better to just get a rubbermaid for the LR and throw in a couple of PHs.

roggy23

hey beth if i did use maracyn 2 for 2 days but then did water changes and after a period of time is it ok to cure LR then in my QT? and how long is the curing process 2 weeks?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, I wouldn't do it. If you do 100% water change, wipe down the sides and bottom and rinse all your equiptment, then yes you can.
Once live smell like the live ocean it is cured. A couple of wks. There is no measuring that since different rock has been handled differently and is at varying stages of cure.

roggy23

ok beth tell me if this sounds right?
Since i used maracyn in my qt im gonna empty out the tank and wipe everyuthing down and rinse. Then Im gonna put 20 gal new saltwater in. On the same day i wanna get more LR (about 20 pounds) and cure it.
This will casue a cycle correct and cure the LR at same time right? how long will the cycle take 2-4 weeks? after the cycle is complete can i just add the rocks into my main tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is fine. Are you going to add the LR to the display? You really shouldn't keep LR in a QT unless you are willing to sacrifice it. And you really shouldn't have LR in a QT if you need to use medications.
Be sure to also clean up any equiptment.

roggy23

ok, so as long as i clean and start over the LR will be fine?
Now, will it be ok to use the tank as a QT after the LR is out and the tank has cycled?
thanks Beth and anyone else