LR is now in tank...how long will it take to cycle?

hvy_dty

OK...I'm a newbie and have another question. I bought my LR (uncured) last Friday. 72g bowfront with a 2" DSB and approx. 75lbs of LR. I've got my lights on timers and everything is running fine. Temp is 78-80, salinity is 1.024-1.025 and I did my first test last night and here are results: ammonia 3.0, nitrite 5.0, nitrate 40. Does this sound about right? The stench from the rock is starting to subside, but my protein skimmer is still working pretty hard and is skimming lots out. Is there anything else that I need to be doing? If not, can you experienced folks let me know how long the cycling process will take with this setup? Also, how often should I be testing this new tank? I'm in no hurry...want to do things right. That's the only reason I'm asking.
Thanks!!!

radcast2

mine has been up for 2 1/2 weeks and i am now just seeing my ammonia levels going down. I have seen some people say it took them a month before the levels were at 0. One guy i read it took his tank 2 months before he saw the levels goto 0. IMO it just depends on your tank size, water, base, LR, LS, and all the other stuff. I have learned GREAT patients from this hobby, my wife says so anyways, I'm not so quick to jump at my son when he does wrong.
SO PATIENTS my friend it will all pay off soon enough just not quick enough.

col

Could take a few weeks, could take a month or two, no way of knowing. I tested mine every few days when I was cycling.
I'm not sure about 2 inch sand bed can be classed as a Deep Sand Bed.
Also, I don't think you need to run skimmer whilst cycling.

dreeves

Your cycling period will be finished when the amonia goes down...not a moment before...time is irrelevent in this respect...each tank cycling time is as different as the people who maintain them...
To aid in the curing of the LR...you could raise the tank temp to about 80-81, use a soft nylon brush and gently scrub debris loose from the rock...use a net or similar to scoop as much of the debris out...the more die off crap you get off now...the less curing time.
Some things in life cannot be rushed...love, --- and cycling times are a few of these things...

acez28

from my experience your cycle will be finished when your ammonia AND your nitrites go to 0. After your ammonia goes up and then down then your Trites will rise and then drop to zero.
With my 100gal it took about 4 weeks and with my 29gal it took about 6 weeks.

hvy_dty

Thanks for the replies. I'll try what you suggest by increasing the temperature slightly and also by scrubbing the loose debris from the rock. One of the replies said that I shouldn't have my skimmer running while cycling. Is this correct? I've been told the the skimmer should be working hard trying to remove the die off from the rock and by me scooping more of the debris out would aid the skimmer. Can someone clear this up for me? I'm thinking the skimmer should be on.
Also, how long should I have my lighting on? I've got 384 watts of PC lighting...two 10k daylight and two actinic bulbs and am currently running them for about 8 hours. Does this sound about right for now?
Thanks again!