LR or "NO" LR...?

hocky98

My tank is nearing the end of cycling. I have a wet/dry filter with bio balls. I have no lr or ls in the tank. When I set it up, I was told I did not need it with the bio balls. I am hearing that every tank should have at least 1 lb per gallon of live rock. I have a two bulb 40 watts each lighting sytem with one white and one blue bulb, so I do not have enough lighting to support the live rock. Should I just stay with my "fish only" setup?

greatfullreefer

LR does not require lighting unless you plan on keeping corals. However LR will provide extremely efficient biological filtration.

T

tizzo

The bio balls should provide enough surface area for your bio filtration. It is reef tanks that especially need the benefit of the LR. That's where the 1.5 to 2 pound per gallon rule will really apply. Corals need more stable water than fish. So as long as you don't push your bio load to the absolute max you should be OK.

joker_ca

you could add some base rock and mix it with LR eventually it would become live, but get rid of the bio balls they will add more nitrate to your tank

sw65galma

Originally posted by joker_ca
you could add some base rock and mix it with LR eventually it would become live, but get rid of the bio balls they will add more nitrate to your tank

I think you should qualify your statement to more like
"My opinion is that you should get rid of the bios balls (i've heard, Or personally experienced) they cause high nitrates, and this is bad because..."
Only reason being, is the jury is still out on this one.
It's more hearsay as to the real effects of Bio Balls and Nitrates aren't all that bad, unless you have Extremely High Concentrations...like over 80ppm. I've had as high as 110ppm, with no fish lose. As long as you don't have amonia or nitrite, you're in good shape.

cowfishrule

just my opinion.....
i think lr should only be used in reef tanks. i have a fish only w/ live rock, and after reading the majority of the threads, i have come to this conclusion.
there are fish tanks, and there are reef tanks. having a fish tank with live rock makes me think that i cant make up my mind whether i want fish or corals..

dedwards

LR acts as a bio-filter and gives your fish a familar surrounding. Not only that but it gives them places to hide.

hocky98

I have feller rock with holes and coral skeletons for them to hide. As for it being a bio filter, that is what the bio balls do. I don't think the live rock is very attractive unless it is set up as a reef. When it is an established reef, it looks awesome, but a dirty rock with some junk growing on it in a fowlr tank looks nasty to me. That is why I brought up the question.

sw65galma

You should be ok with the Bio Balls.
just keep an eye on them, if they start getting build up on them, then clean a small sections of them at a time.
Never clean all of them at once.
Good luck!

new2u

wash them in saltwater, thats what i do every so often 2 months about, oh and i run a wet dry rated for 75 gallons and also have 75 pounds of LR in a 55 yeah thats me the over acheaver with 20 nitrates :D :D :D :D :D :D :D just gotta add that fuge pretty soon