LS and LR question

weber518

What is the difference in the LS and LR you buy in the store versus the LS and or LR at the beach when setting up a new tank ?? Maybe a dumb question, but i don't know the answer so, not dumb to me. :notsure:

1journeyman

Originally Posted by WEBER518
What is the difference in the LS and LR you buy in the store versus the LS and or LR at the beach when setting up a new tank ?? Maybe a dumb question, but i don't know the answer so, not dumb to me. :notsure:
No dumb questions.
First off, depending on where you live collecting rock and sand from the beach may very well be illegal. Also, our beaches kind of act like the ocean's protein skimmer. All the junk ends up on it.
Then there is what the beach sand and rock is made of. Not all beaches are calcium carbonate based sand.

cooqie

The LS in the beach is contaminated by people(Cigs, Pee, ect...) and LR from the ocean is not curred and it will take 4-6 weeks to cure in your tank and is a long process. LS from the store is ready for your tank and LR from the store is already cured and has nothyn on it so you dont have to go through the process of taking everything off and curing it.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Cooqie
The LS in the beach is contaminated by people(Cigs, Pee, ect...) and LR from the ocean is not curred and it will take 4-6 weeks to cure in your tank and is a long process. LS from the store is ready for your tank and LR from the store is already cured and has nothyn on it so you dont have to go through the process of taking everything off and curing it.
Well, actually rock from the ocean is cured.
It's the long process rock goes through getting to you that kills things on it and leads to needing to be cured.