LS question What's Southdown?

besba

Okay, I gather from everyone I need more LS. The last I bought came from LFS. They said it was from the Fugi(Sp?) Islands. It's gray with alot of small shells and some LR in it. It also had some tiny crabs and bristle worms. I've seen pic on here and other people's sand looks whiter than mine. Do I buy more at LFS? Also I paid $100 for about 45 pds. Is there a better deal or better sand out there?

kelly

Southdown is sand that many of us use for our reef tanks. The company's name is Southdown. It is a white sand that sells for about $3.00 for 50# at alot of Home Depot's on the east cost. I recently put 250# in my 80 gallon tank, and it cost me $2.83 per 50# bag. Some of their new packaging states not for use in saltwater aquariums. All 3 of my tanks have it, and I have not had any problems with it. It is sold for use in sand boxes.
Best of wishes.

silkks11

yeah man I just learned about south down sand, I really want to add about 100-150lbs to my 250 gallon, its all reef safe right??? anyone wanna give me some help with this stuff, I already have 110lbs of live sand so will it be ok if I add 150lbs of south down to it?