ls question

seasalt101

from what i have been learning here, the ls that comes in a bag, i think the brand i bought was caribsea or something like that, it has a 1 year shelf life, anyway that isn't real live sand right, and i have 100lbs. in my tank has the lr in there seeded that sand so now it would be real ls or not, if not what would you do to make it real ls? thanks...tobin

dapak83

From what i think the only difference youw have between real live sand and livesand are the criters in the same... ur sand is live and should be doing its job... u can always get come pod and add them to your tank and get a ceanup crew... you should be fine!
correct me if i am wrong!

I also have this sand. From my understanding the sand has bacteria but not worms, pods, and other critters. however after purchase of live rock and over time this sand will become the equvilant of any live sand available.
Before fish I could see many pods and worms anytime of day. My tank including sand was full of life within weeks

seasalt101

i'm just wanting to get another scooter blennie again, this time without starving him to death, system been up since sept.06 i have 100lb. ls 170lb. lr so i just want to be sure before i go killin another fish, i love them scooters...tobin

seasalt101

if your tanks are not established yet you will probably kill a scooter, like mandarins (which are the same, all dragonettes) they need established, lots of lr, and sometimes pods introduced to the system and theyeat them all day long so you need a ton of em, that is the reason i,m curious about my system, i'm not sure if its ready yet are not, so when in doubt wait it out...tobin

rebelprettyboy

yeah I know i! It wasnt for me I was gonna buy it for my friends mom cuz today was her birthday. Shes had a saltwater tank every since I can remember

seasalt101

will her bsystem support the scooter, if so man you could get the birthday cool something for the fishtank present woo-hoo...tobin

earlybird

Originally Posted by TriggerPhish
I also have this sand. From my understanding the sand has bacteria but not worms, pods, and other critters. however after purchase of live rock and over time this sand will become the equvilant of any live sand available.
Before fish I could see many pods and worms anytime of day. My tank including sand was full of life within weeks
While it is true that LR will eventually seed your sand there are some "critters" that don't live in/on LR and prefer to live in sand. If you want to increase your critter population I'd get some true live sand to seed your sand. Check out the info below on worms.
Article Information: Shimek, Ronald. PH.D. "Worms: The Good, the Bad and the Wiggly." Marine Fish and Reef 2007 Annual: 76-83.
"Most worms enter aquaria by the addition of live rock. Although the overall diversity of sand dwelling worms is far greater, aquarists seldom have access to wormy sands and don't add them to their tanks."
On worms entering via live rock:
"Probably the best numerical estimates of worms in live rock... The estimated worm population abundances varied between 17,000 and 92,000 animals per square meter, with several hundred species being encountered.
...(assuming a rock) with a surface area of 39.3 square inches...could be expected to have between 425 and 2,300 polychaetes* living in it."
*Polychaete (Encarta)-- ocean worm with bristles: an ocean worm with a segmented body and bristled fleshy appendages used in swimming.
Pretty impressive numbers.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by seasalt101
from what i have been learning here, the ls that comes in a bag, i think the brand i bought was caribsea or something like that, it has a 1 year shelf life, anyway that isn't real live sand right, and i have 100lbs. in my tank has the lr in there seeded that sand so now it would be real ls or not, if not what would you do to make it real ls? thanks...tobin

Yes it will become live with the liverock and those critters will reproduce. If you worry about starving your blennie then you can Tune up your sandbed with a detrivoer Kit from a Sea farm every 6-12months..

seasalt101

thanks earlybird and aztec reef do you know roughly how long it takes to seed, i always hear something like overtime, is this something like the time frame 6-12 months, 1-2 years, etc etc, thanks...tobin

aztec reef

well you allready did the seeding, all you have to do is wait for your tank to stablelize your parameters and to start maturing and at the sametime your critters will start to get used to your tank and will start reproducing. Keep levels in good shape and you should have a real live sandbed in about 3-6months...

seasalt101

thanks again aztecreef, just started doin extra test ph, kh, calcium, and phosphates, and the regulars still trying to learn them but not to difficult, and i did see some new critters today no idea what they are but i will post some pics to get them id later today well i gotta go do dishes yeah thanks again...tobin