Lubbock's Wrasse died in QT

jpc763

I bought this fish 8 days ago. In the LFS it was active and swimming around with other fish in the tank. I put it in the QT and it immediately hid behind a rock. Normal I thought and it came out when I fed it and ate.
Well 8 days later and it still was hiding behind the rock, only coming out when it was fed. This evening it was dead.

I tested the water completely on Sunday morning before the lights came on.
T: 77
SG: 1.026
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Given that the fish died, I retested and this is what I got tonight
T: 82
SG: 1.021
pH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Any ideas?
Thanks, John

sepulatian

I am sorry for your loss. Why are the SG, temp, and PH so much different in eight days? How did you acclimate him? Did you see anything on him at all? Did he actively come out to eat or did he just pick at food floating by?

jpc763

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2897263
I am sorry for your loss. Why are the SG, temp, and PH so much different in eight days? How did you acclimate him? Did you see anything on him at all? Did he actively come out to eat or did he just pick at food floating by?
I can't figure the SG. The tank is a closed system with a lid and built in filter. I do remember testing both my regular tank and my QT and the regular tank was a little low.
As far as the pH, the Sunday test was in the morning before the lights were on. The test today was after the lights went out. 8.2 or 8.3 is the usual pH for the tank. Finally on the temp, it was an unusually warm day today here in CO. I could be off by a couple of degrees.
I drip acclimated drip for about 2 hours. As far as eating, he would come out grab a piece and go back. He would do until he was done eating (there was usually a little food left). There was one time during the week that I saw him out swimming, but no more than a few inches from his rock. Totally different behavior than the LFS.
His appearance was very clean. Nothing looked out of the ordinary both when I chose him and tonight. His fins were intact and there was no other symptoms of disease.
Thanks, John

sepulatian

Did you test for stray voltage in the tank? Something was scaring him awfully bad. If he was darting out to grab food then he was healthy when you got him.