Lunare versus Sunset Wrasse

heithingi

Hi Everyone,
Ok, as most of you know, I am sure, we had decided for our fifth fish to be a Lunare Wrasse. However, at the LFS this weekend, I saw a Sunset Wrasse, male, I believe. Some people call the Sunset a Banana Wrasse, too. While I could not get this guy as he is too big, I would like to hear from any of you of your experiences with either wrasse, and if you prefer one over the other. They are both really beautiful fish! Occupants of tank are/and or will be 3 green chromis, marine betta, checkerboard wrasse, spiney puffer, pinktail trigger, either lunare or sunset wrasse, and possibly a niger trigger. Which wrasse would be best?
Thanks!
Lynda

pufferlover

Hi a Banana Wrasse is also called a 4 spot wrasse and there is a picture and description of it on this sites fish section. It is yellow with a black spot on the top fin. I had one for about 4 years (gave him to a friend to make room for the Regal that croaked on me) it was only about 4" after that time. The Lunare gets bigger and is a bit more to the aggressive side. I have not heard of a Banana being called a sunset ever around here (they are almost totally yellow except for the black spot mentioned). I think the Banana if it is that would be hard pressed to make it in that set up.

heithingi

Hi Pufferfish,
OK, thanks for the info! One of the books I have, Marine Fishes, says the Sunset Wrasse is also called the Banana....however, at the LFS, the HUGE Sunset they had looked much like the Lunare, just very brightly colored.
Thanks again,
Lynda

grouperhead

puffer is thinking of the true banana wrasse. the sunset/banana wrasse is a meber of the thalmossa family just like lunares. both are very beautiful fish. treat and care for both the same. i would go for whichever one you like better. sunsets arent as common as lunares, that might be a reason to get one. both imo or equally beautiful. you cant go wrong on this desicion. later, bo

pufferlover

Thanks grouperhead for the clarification. I had not heard of the other Banana before you came up with that. The one I had was the coris yellow Banana wrasse gets a bit confusing sometimes when names are shared even in part.