Luv-A-Bully March in S. FL Oct 28!

sugarfox03

I am putting together a march in downtown West Palm Beach to help with the growing problem of BSL against bullies. I need people to come with their bullies and show their support!! The march is a nationwide thing (hopefully) and I just sent in all the info to the "packleader" so they can post the march in WPB. The website is: www.roverlution.org (you can also check here so see if there's a march in your area!!)
Please, if anyone can attend, please come! It will be held in downtown West Palm Beach: The Palm Beach Post Centennial Park
Located on Flagler Dr between Evernia St & Fern St.
W.P.B., FL 33401
I have a contact or two for a local news station, so I will be sending them an email, and hopefully have some news coverage about this. If anyone else has any info they can share on having a successful march, I'd really appreciate it! I want this to be big! I will be there with my two bullies. Feel free to crosspost to anyone who may be able to come. Thanks in advance!! And sorry for the short notice, it is only two weeks away!! It starts at 10:00 am, your dogs are more than welcome (and urged) to attend! Thanks again!!

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by watson3
Dont these dogs kill children?
Please tell me you aren't serious about that question! Pit bulls are amazing dogs around children! Here's my pittie Magnum with my mothers best friends little girl, she's 4. This was on 4th of July. Magnum let the girl walk him around for 2 hours straight! She didn't let go of his collar, he never pulled her, when she stopped, he looked up at her and kissed her. He's in training to be a therapy dog. Magnum is also a rescue from BSL, as he was to be euthanized in an Orlando shelter. In Orlando, pit bulls are not illegal, but no housing complexes, communities or rentals will allow them. Breedism is the exact same thing as racism. You judge a breed of dog based on what others have done. Its unfair. Magnum, along with 99% of other bullies, would never harm a person. Its the pit bulls who were trained to attack and fight or havent had any type of socialization or training that make the bad name for everyone. Here's a situation I was faced with this week: (I do pit bull rescue) I got a call from a loving family who adopted a pit bull a few months ago (not from me, a local shelter.) They own their own home, have insurance on the dog, and have done everything they need to. The dog has been through basic obedience, and was in intermediate training. They contacted my rescue because their neighborhood is threatening them because they have a pit bull. This dog has NEVER shown any aggression to anyone. She LOVES her children (a toddler and a 4 yr old, I believe - they are young) and is their best friend. She's an outstanding dog, and wonderful member of society, but because she's a pit bull, no one wants her there. I took the dog in. Now, here's the kicker - the neighbor a few houses down has a labrador that MAULED a neighborhood kid, and the people aren't making a big stink about that dog, they still have him. How on earth is that fair?! Fear stems from ignorance, my friend. The only people who don't like pit bulls, have never met one, and I'm talking a true pit bull. Thanks for your time. If you have any more questions about them, please let me know.

Magnum & Shannon - Look at the smile on his face in the 2nd pic!

watson3

So the stories in the news are never real..The lady that got chased down and they went straight for her throat..

sugarfox03

So the stories in the news are never real..The lady that got chased down and they went straight for her throat..
I'm not saying they arent real, but they never tell both sides of the story, and almost never tell what they do show, correctly. Pit bulls are not the only breeds that bite, all dogs have teeth, all are capable of injuring a person. Statistically proven: labs, cockers, dalmations, shepherds are all more likely to bite than a pit bull. Did the news tell you anything about the pit bull that chased the woman? Do they even know if it was truly a pit bull? Lately, any dog with a short coat and the build of a pit bull is labeled as such, even though it may not have any pit bull in it at all. Boxers, labs, bulldogs, and even boston terriers can resemble pit bulls in some way, and are often mistaken as such, so when these breeds bite, they are automatically labeled "pit bull". Second, how was that dog raised? A pit bull, or any dog for that matter, that chases someone down the street has serious mental issues, and was probably trained to be people aggressive and/or had absolutely no socialization. The dog was probably not spayed/neutered either (there's never been a lethal attack by a spayed/neutered pit bull - I offer free spay/neuters for pit bulls through my rescue for people who need their dog fixed.) You are going by what media tells you, but have you done your own research on this breed? Do you know that when pit bulls were being originated for fighting, if they showed ANY people aggression they were destroyed because that is not something that was wanted in the breed? Ignorant people have destroyed these dogs, and will continue to do so until they are no longer the "cool" dog to have. Pit bulls are no more dangerous than any other large breed of dog. No dogs are naturally dangerous, but when they are put in the hands of stupid people who think its cool to train the dog to be aggressive, or think that dogs should be chained up outside with no socialization its whole life, is when they are dangerous. Pit bulls, unfortunately, are a status symbol for punks & thugs. They keep them just to look cool, much in the same as why they wear baggy clothes and have horrible gold teeth. Its an image they want, not a friend or companion. Those people don't need to own any dog, let alone a pit bull. If it were "cool" for these guys to own labradors, you would be against them, because they would be the ones in the medias negative stories all the time...but no one cares to hear of a lab attack. In all my years of doing pit bull rescue, I have NEVER had one show any aggression to me, not once. I have also worked at several vet offices, our best patients were pit bulls. I would often hear people who own labs or small yippy dogs in the waiting room talk bad about to a person with a pit bull waiting to be seen, and in the end their dog has to be muzzled because it tried to bite the tech or the vet, not the pit bull. I have also been bitten by a few dogs, guess what they were? A maltese & a lhasa apso. Now watson, have you ever met a pit bull? Seriously, have you ever known a well trained, socialized, true pit bull? I bet not. If you had, you wouldn't be arguing all the facts I have laid out for you. Please, be fair, get to know one before you judge. There's no breed of dog with more loyalty to their owner than a bully. They will do absolutely anything their owner wishes them to do, be it tricks for amusement or fighting for money. Dogs don't have a conscience, they cannot tell what is right and what is wrong. Only people are capable of such thoughts, only people are capable of taking a loving family companion and turning it into a weapon. Behind every bad dog is a terrible person, guaranteed. Thanks for your time, watson, and anyone else who wishes to read this, and learn a little something about a breed who is so misunderstood.

sugarfox03

Just re-reading my last post...I'm not against labs at all! I just used them as an example! Just wanted to make that clear!
:joy:

petjunkie

SugarFox, just wanted to say it's great that you have taken a positive stance for the bully breed. My boyfriend and I plan to get a pitbull or rotty when we buy a house. My buddy has one that's a sweetheart, although a little destructive. My only concern is I've read they need obedience training and I live in a very small town with few trainers, most of which will probably turn my dog down based on breed. I've already done quite a bit of research online about them and am planning on getting one from a shelter since that's where so many end up.

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by petjunkie
SugarFox, just wanted to say it's great that you have taken a positive stance for the bully breed. My boyfriend and I plan to get a pitbull or rotty when we buy a house. My buddy has one that's a sweetheart, although a little destructive. My only concern is I've read they need obedience training and I live in a very small town with few trainers, most of which will probably turn my dog down based on breed. I've already done quite a bit of research online about them and am planning on getting one from a shelter since that's where so many end up.
Thanks for wanting to adopt!! It will be tough finding a good trainer in your area, but do your best! They do need obedience training, without a doubt, no matter what age. I recommend looking for an adult that has possibly been through an obedience class, and take him/her to another as a refresher, and so they learn to listen to you, this will also help them bond with you. Make sure you own your home and your home owners insurance allows pit bulls/rotties before you bring one home. This march is hopefully going to help with that, as I get so many calls/emails from people who cannot find housing with their dog & need to rehome it, which isn't always possible. In the right home, pitties (and rotties!) are wonderful dogs. Just do a lot of research and make sure you can handle them. Some pit bulls can become dog aggressive, its what they were bred for, but that has NOTHING to do with people aggression, so don't let that fool ya! Just be sure that is something you can live with. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions!!

dogstar

Dont these dogs kill children?
just google '' Dog Bite Related Fatalities ''

phixer

Pit Bulls seem to have gotten a bad reputation for this. Considering what the breed was originally bred for people should know the dogs potenial and understand that a bite from a Pit Bull is going to cause more damage than from a Chihuahua.
My buddy almost lost his nose from a pit bull bite. This particular dog never bit anyone until this one time.

sugarfox03

I'm sorry, but you all have changed the subject completely. I know I went on about breed history, but I wanted this thread to just help me spread the news about this event. I am planning to help people understand these dogs, because there are so many people who do not. Bites do happen, yes, I'll be the first to admit that, but pit bulls are not the only breed that bites...just the only breed media ever writes about. My friend and I tested local news stations once, we called one many local stations about an aggression "lab-type dog" that got out and attacked our son (that we don't have) and no one cared to contact us back to cover the story. We waited a month or so, called again and said a "pit bull" bit a neighbor kid, and all but one wanted to cover the story! Its unfair.
Anyway, if anyone can make it to the march, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance, God Bless!!

alyssia

Originally Posted by Dogstar
just google '' Dog Bite Related Fatalities ''

:scared: That's pretty scary, especially considering the fact that I have small children and dogs that run loose in our neighborhood.

hartman413

hey you can count me in. i have owned pits my entire life and all the hype is ever one sided. they never tell you that the dog has been chain up its entire life or ever that it was froced to fight or it was beator that the people abuse it till it has no choice to consider humans the enemy. yes it is true that when they attack they kill. they are pure power and pure animals that have been given a great gift from god. if you treat them with love and respect and human kindness these dogs will die for you and protect you no matter what and love your kids and treat your family as if you are the only one they have ever known

phixer

Kind of strange how the Staffordshire got this rep but the Bull Terrier did not when they were both bred for the same purposes. Id really like to have a miniature Bull Terrier but they are very expensive. Cant seem to find one for less than 1800 bucks.

1journeyman

First off, good for you Sugarfox in promoting a cause you feel strongly about.
I did my Senior Seminar in college over the Reintroduction of the Grey Wolf to Yellowstone National Park. Wolves have unfortunately gotten a much worse reputation than Pit Bulls... I understand your passion and love for a beautiful animal. (that's another story)
Having said that, however, there is a reality that has to be realized. When a poodle bites someone, no big deal... I mean it would take a while for a Toy Poodle to inflict a killing wound. It only takes one bite from a Pit to inflict permanent/or fatal injury.
The dogs are a victim of their breeding. Less than 200 years ago they were selectively bred for a purpose other than to be house pets.
We often talk about "form=function" with the fish and inverts in the aquarium hobby. The same can be said of dogs... if they have strong jaws and big teeth...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefreak29
dogs arent born mean ,people make them mean end of subject
That's false... Dogs certainly can be born mean.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
That's false... Dogs certainly can be born mean.
really i never saw a puppy attach out of rage