Luvmyreef's 180g Diary

luvmyreef

Well, time to start the diary. I purchased a 180g all glass aquarium and stand. The tank is not drilled. It will be sumpless. I do want to use a refugium. I will be taking my time on this. So here is a list of everything.
Equipment:
72in. Icecap Reef Illuminations Fixture 3-250w HOI, 2-T5HO, and tube LED's.
Eheim Canister wet/dry canister filter- will be running chemipure only. Thinking about the spray bars.
Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater 300w.
Koralia #4 x 2. Am getting 2 of the koralia mag 5 or 6 too.
I have a choice on skimmers, I have a junk coralife. and I have a aqua c remora. Both on hand.
100lbs of Figi Live rock to start.
live sand, figi pink
Stock List: (these fish I already have)
My yellow tang
pair of clowns
royal gramma
mandarin
Fish I will add:
Powder Brown Tang
3-anthias or chromis
Wrasse
Powder Blue Tang (maybe)
Coral List (ones I have now)
Many many zoas (tubbs blues, jokers, watermelon, fruit loops, gobstoppers, etc.)
nuc. green, purple death palys
yellow colony polyps
purple tipped acro
acans
monti caps
mushrooms (red and green striped)
dark and light blue rics, and orange ones, one yellow
green birdsnest
pink birdsnest
tyree ponape birdsnest
orange pavona
finger leather
Hammer
Toadstool
Inverts:
snails
blue legged hermit crabs
One huge Long tentacle anemone
I will try to do an in the tank refugium, but if not, it will be a hob. So, tell me what you think. Suggestions welcome...

meowzer

YAYYY
a couple suggestions.....get 2 heaters, get the new hydor Koralias....they come in 750, 1050, or 1400gph...they are great
DEFINITELY use the spray bar with the canister...I have one on each side, and there is not a spot that my top water is not moving
Question: What bulbs are you going to put in the light fixture (since it doesn't come with any)
Question: What coralife PS do you have.....I don't think either the Coralife or Aqua C are rated for a 180G ...are they??

luvmyreef

YAYYYY is right!!!! As far as the heater, this one is rated for tanks up to 264g. I figured one would be enough, you dont think so? As far as the koralia's, the 1400 is only rated for saltwater tanks up to 90g. The koralia magnum 5 and up are rated for the larger tanks....If it would be enough flow with the 1400's, I could save some money...hahahaha....
As far as the lights, I will be using 20k, not sure which brand yet. I will also use ati aquablue+ for the t-5's. The coralife skimmer is rated for 125g tanks, and I am not sure about the aqua c. My friend gave it to me, and I know nothing about it...I was considering a new skimmer, just thought I would utilize what I have at the moment so hubby doesnt go thru the roof with all that I am purchasing...hahahaha

meowzer

It's usually better to have 2 heaters....one as a back up....ya never know...get 2 250w's

I have 5 Koralias in my 225G as well as the 2 spray bars...LOL....I like to spread the flow....I have the 1400, 1050, 750, and 2 K3's...Actuallly the new ones are cheaper.
IMO....more powerheads are better than 1 bigger one....you can place them in different areas.
The Aqua C remora with the biggest pump goes up to 120G....I think you will need a better skimmer....unless you are gonna use both
..........BUT REMEMBER...you don;t need it whil you are setting up and cycling

luvmyreef

Yeah, I dont need it yet. Thanks for the info on the aqua c. No, I wont use both. So, I guess skimmers will be my next research project.... I actually have 2 koralia #3's just sitting around that my friend also gave me...guess I could use them too. So, are you suggesting that I go with the 1400's or just more of the mags? I kind of figured I would place a mag in each corner facing the front so that the flows meet and circle around the bottom. And place the two #4's in the center both pointing towards the front and down...
Ofcourse, you know how that goes..you are forever tweaking your pumps...

meowzer

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3291774
So, are you suggesting that I go with the 1400's or just more of the mags? I kind of figured I would place a mag in each corner facing the front so that the flows meet and circle around the bottom. And place the two #4's in the center both pointing towards the front and down...

LOL...all of the above......I have the 1400 in the center pointing to the front
On each side of the tank I have a mag at the top...angle slightly down towards the front glass...and on each side I also have a mag toward the bottom angled a little towards the center of the tank
Does that make sense?? I probably have a pic

luvmyreef

Yeah, makes sense.. It will probably be enough until I get the aquascaping done, then I know I will be moving them everywhere. Heck, I even have a koralia nano I can place somewhere in there...I am just gonna love to set this thing up standing on a chair!!! hahahaha

2quills

Cool...will be tagging along.
Please let us know how you like that IceCap fixture...I've been thinking about purchasing the same fixture myself but the 48".

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3291816
Cool...will be tagging along.
Please let us know how you like that IceCap fixture...I've been thinking about purchasing the same fixture myself but the 48".
Will do.
Now, my next question would be...how deep of a sand bed should I go with? I was thinking around 3 inches or more...a lot of sand....so I will be using dry sand and seed it with the arag-alive fiji pink. Would that be deep enough for such a large tank or should I go deeper? Thanks..

luvmyreef

Well, after doing a little more research, I have changed my mind about the lights. I have read some negative reviews about the t-5's not working, fixture getting too hot, and the metal halides going off for no reason.....that doesnt sound good at all. I am now at a dead end. Can someone poiint me in the right direction here? I can still find the outer orbit fixture, and this might be the way to go......any other ideas???
I want to make a purchase soon.....and getting very impatient.....

luvmyreef

Well, found a outer orbit 3x 250w fixture with t5's and lunars, getting it at a good price, will be picking it up on sunday. It was a toss up between (2)-36in 2x 250w sunpods. I ordered my sand, etc. I have 60lbs of live rock curing at the moment. More to come next week. Stuck a blue background on the tank so far...hubby likes it better than the black....but I might change it... Pics will come when all rock, sand, etc is in the tank...

meowzer

YAYYYYY....I think you will be happy with it too...:)...use the lights it comes with first....and when it is time to change upgrade them

luvmyreef

Thanks Meowzer. I will have to see what it looks like before I decide to change the bulbs. I will def change the t5's to ati or geismann though...

2quills

Yeah I've read a few mixed reviews on the new IceCap fixtures as they are now being manufactured in China...I think I'll hold off on those myself.
Can't wait to see pics of the new stuff.

luvmyreef

Update time! I got my order in yesterday. Got a total of 3 #4 koralia pumps, and have 2 #3's.
Should be enough to start out with. got my salt, sand, heater, etc. And today....got my lights!!! It is a nice looking fixture! Also found some nice big chunks of rock. One is dome shaped with lots of holes..looks like a big dome cave.. So, I will be setting this thing up soon and will show some pics...

meowzer

YAYYYYY...And I think you will really like the lights.....the bulbs that cme with it are ok.....start with them...and when you are ready change them to what look you want...

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3296309
YAYYYYY...And I think you will really like the lights.....the bulbs that cme with it are ok.....start with them...and when you are ready change them to what look you want...
Yeah, two of the t5's are out, but thats ok, I want to get ati brand anyhow. BTW, what metal halides do you use in yours? 14k phoenix? I was going to order them or radium if they work in this fixture.

meowzer

I use the phoenix 14K...and I am very happy with them....BUT then again...I did not want a lot of blue...just no yellow tint...

luvmyreef

Yeah, I thought phoenix 14k with the t5's (using 4 actinics, and 4 aquablue plus) would be a good combo. or even 4 aquablue plus, and 4 purple. I dont mind the blue look. And I really like the options! and the fact that you can do different combos with this fixture. It is just what I wanted, thanks for helping me choose.

luvmyreef

OK UPDATE! Fiji pink sand,90lbs of base rock, and water (took me forever!) is in the tank. I left some room for more rock and water. 45lbs of live rock will arrive friday morning. And my refugium will be here tomorrow. Once I start tearing down the 75g, I will have approx 90-110lbs of live rock to add, just not yet LOL. I already moved stuff around in it, took out a few smaller pieces, and the clownfish were pretty mad at me..It literally looked like she was cussing me out
And my yellow tang watches my every move when I am working on this 180, its funny. Anyways, water is still a little cloudy, so pics after all the rock is in the tank Friday.
Oh, forgot to mention....I HATE AQUASCAPING!!!!!!