lyretail anthias???

addicted2

I am asking for opinions on their reef compatibility and aggression. I have a fairly peaceful tank and would like to keep it that way. I really want a pair...what do you think?..I have a 75 gal with over 100# of live rock. Tank has been up for over 1 1/2 years. I have heard they can be aggressive? Yes or no?

cranberry

I wouldn't do the pair... they really do better with harems and your tank is not large enough for that. He'll pick on her all the time if it's just him and her.
I love my lyretail. She handles her own in the reef.

cranberry

She's one of my favourite fish. When I'm rinsing the mysis off of the feeding bowl she jumps in it. When I put my fingers in the tank she comes up to chew on them. It's not an aggression thing but a "I want food now!" thing. After she nibbles a couple of times and realizes it's not grub, she stops. She doesn't show any aggression towards my other fish.

cranberry

I pour the mysis in over time and some get stuck on the side of the bowl. I did it in the water to get them off and that's when she jumps in.
BUT, I do rinse my mysis in a net under tap water and then put it in a bowl with some RO/DI. There's lots of unnecessary junk in the mysis juice that I don't want to add to my tank.

cranberry

She's normally in a 55. Right now she is in a 24 o_O. The reef crashed while we were on vacation.... seems the whole 3 weeks we were gone it was receiving tap top-offs. My tap TDS is over 600 and loaded with chloramines. She has a Janss pipefish as a tankmate right now but she use to be with a mandarin, leopard wrasse, the Janss and a foxface.
Thanks.... I too think she's very pretty even if some peeps think they are glorified goldfish. She developed the long first ray on her dorsal fin which she likes to flash.

addicted2

well, I was really hoping to at least put a pair in my tank...anyone else have any experience with these beautiful fish???

stanlalee

you are MUCH better off with a single male or female. It can work but it might not. 3 things can happen a) it works b) the males will chase the females (which is another reason not to do it. the tank is just not big enough to do the kind of retreating that needs to be done). with one female it will take all the brunt of the male. with multiple females he so busy trying to control them all no one female gets the brunt of it (the females themselves BARELY tolerate each other another, the main reason they need space). I dont want to imply they are aggressive with each other all the time but during feeding and occasionally there is chasing going on. and the last thing that can happen with a male and a female is you get a bold female that will fight the male and then you will eventually end up with two males who will fight till ones dead in a 75g. Two of the three females I had were very bold and thus never RAN from the male. they were just barely submissive enough to circle around quickly never actually moving from the general space where they were. In fact to make it work well you need ALL of them to be bold enough to not allow too much of a beating from the others. thats done by basically buying them all the same size at the same time (with the male slightly bigger). Any individual too weak wont make it.
As far as aggression to other fish, they ignore almost everything except other anthias in which case they can and will whip most of them in close quarters. The arent punks BUT if you have any fish that are going to pick on them upon indroduction dont even bother, they'll never eat or settle in. I took my tangs out for two weeks when I got mine. Once established they arent exactly punks. My male in particular had no problem running my midas blenny into his hole when neccessary (midas blennies get pissy). basically EVERYTHING works better in large quarters with them and anything under 6ft with more than one is risking it not working. they take to eating alot better in groups too (monkey see monkey do. it can be the difference between pigs and taking two weeks to get eating regularly).
a few pics

all four are in there just not out and about

addicted2

thankyou for all the info...not exactly what I wanted to hear..but all the same..good advice...Stan...do you think I would have better luck if I got 1 male and 2 females? BTW...your tank is gorgeous!!!

stanlalee

Originally Posted by addicted2
http:///forum/post/2741920
thankyou for all the info...not exactly what I wanted to hear..but all the same..good advice...Stan...do you think I would have better luck if I got 1 male and 2 females? BTW...your tank is gorgeous!!!
I would definately go two to one over a pair. this sometimes works reasonably well.
as for the tank thanks but not so much gorgeous anymore