Macros or Xenia in a refuge.

cboyfan2020

I am setting up a refuge and debating whether to get Macroalgae or Xenia. The main purposes of this refuge will be pod production(as the main tank will NOT have a DSB), a DSB, and nutrient export mainly to deal with nitrates and to outcompete other algae. Which should I go with and what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

fellow

Your objective is to produce what? Xenia or macro??? I personally would do xenia, here's why: you can still get a good food population from both, but you can sell or trade xenia at a much higher price....xenia is hard to ship and most LFS will love a local xenia supply. Macroalgae is commonplace and unless you have a large amount you will have a hard time reducing any trate in the aquaria.
-fellow-

justinx

If you are not going to use a DSB in the display ( which i would be curious to know why) absolutley use macroalgae. xenia will do nothing for nutrient export or filtration. True it (xenia) will grow like weeds and you could sell it, but nothing will live if you have poor water quality.

fellow

if your macroalgae is your main source of filtration I would agree, but if you have a skimmer then there is not that big of void to fill.
-fellow-

fellow

Refugiums can work, but I had a 15 gallon refugium on a 175 reef and I had a constant, but small NO3 problem...
-fellow-

fellow

ya i know, but space was an issue...
Xenia is mostly photo, but I believe they do feed on phyto....but the other things like coepods and amphipods will flourish with either.
What you really should do though is add a dsb and not count on a refugium for production.
-fellow-

cboyfan2020

fuge will be a 40g breeder with a Kent nautilus TE skimmer
Tank(main) will be a 120g
don't want DSB in main tank just cause I dont like the chance of it getting disturbed.
Can i have both xenia and macros in refuge?

fellow

you could do both, but the macro grows like nuts. The tank may be big enough for both...
-fellow-

bang guy

For a 40 gallon fuge servicing a 120 gallon display you could easily go either way.
The Macro will require less light and is much easier to grow.
The Xenia will require a lot of light but consumes more (much more) Nitrate and needs very little space to be effective.
If you also want pods grow the Xenia on porous rocks. Pods will grow well in Macro without the rock.
Xenia has no digestive system, it can't eat phyto nor pods.
I believe doing both would be optimal if you keep the Macro from shading the Xenia.

sammystingray

A lot of corals etc. remove nutrients really.......a full reef is like a huge filter. Seems to me personally, without any true research, that macros would remove nitrates faster. I have plenty of experience with macros, but none with xenias, so..........The export of macros under GOOD lighting is unbelievable. A lot of refugiums seem to skimp on the lighting, and I think that's why some see limited results.

fellow

You are correct...xenia will not eat any particulate food, but it will absorb nutrients such as amino acids. Did you know that xenia can harm SOME hard corals?
-fellow.

cboyfan2020

purpose for the fuge:
1) remove nitrates- mine read 80ppm right now in my 55g. I know I have a lot of fish and that is why but I explained all this in another thread. Some willbe given away and the rest will go in my 120.
2) DSB- I like the advantages of a DSB but I dont want to take the chance in that one of my fish or anything for that mater disturb the bottom layer and kill everything. That is why there will be a 2" sand bed in main tank and 5" DSB in fuge.
3) Pods- I want a place where I can grow pods without them being desimated my inverts and fish I have.
4) Out compete algae- I want the macros or xenia to export nitrate and out compete the bad algae for nutrients.
5) Sanctuary- I also want it to be a safe haven for injured/pregnant fish.
Now with this info do you guys still have the same advice or does this change things?

nm reef

I have heard of a few refugiums using xenia for nutrient up-take...but not for excessive nutrient "export". My reservations with using xenia in this manner would be with establishing a lighting pattern reverse of the display. Xenia like most other corals will need a regular day/night pattern same as most living creatures.
Using macroalgaes in a refugium for nutrient up-take and export just seems more practical to me...caulperas grow quickly with less lighting needs and the can be easy exported for removal of excess nutrients. The lighting can easily be maintained 24/7 to avoid fluctuations in PH...just seems a better option in my opinion.
In regard to disturbances to a DSB in the display....I've heard mention of the possibility but I seriously doubt if it is a real concern. I'd suggest a bit more research on DSB's for more info....I'd be way more concerned about your nitrate levels than I would be about the "potential" for DSB disturbances causing you to crash your system.
Bottom line is I've found a established refugium with a 4"-5" DSB and macroalgaes to be extremely effective at removal of excess nutrients...the microfauna population grows and provides resources for the display...and a active DSB in the display poses absolutely no concern for me in regard to potential risk for the life of my reef.