mag 7 to noisy

reefcrazy

ok it's been running for about a hour and it makes to much noise, if i stand next to the tank i can feel the floor vibrate is this normal or will this problem go away with time.

broomer5

I've found that if these MagDrive submersible pumps are resting against the bottom of the sump, or leaning against a wall of the sump or anything else in the area, the sound of them humming can be quite loud. Sort of amplified the noise in my sump, stand and floor.
Not sure if you are using vinyl hose, tubing, or rigid pvc pipe for your return, but in any case, if possible see if you can suspend the pump off the floor of the sump and inch or so. Sort of let it hang there by the return line or ball valve, or whatever you have there. This allowed mine to run much more quiet.
Try it if you're interested - it's free :p

reefcrazy

that is how i have it, look at the picture it is two inches off the floor and none of the pipes are rubbing against notting. i can here the pump in the hole bussing sound in the hole apartment. is that normal. if it is i'll just have to get another pump, i'm noise sencetive

broomer5

oh...
I've never had one plumbed external to the sump, so don't know what to say.
I would not come off the discharge with an immediate elbow, but that's my personal preference. It'll work that way - just causes some turbulance right at the pump outlet. That may be causing additional noise - guessing.
I'm also thinking that since it's external, and hard plumbed to pvc at both discharge and suction side of the pump, maybe the noise is being amplified some from the piping - not really sure - that's a guess too.
I'm sorry I don't have much more to add.
Maybe some others here have a similar set up that you do - and can offer some first hand advise.

hound

I only have a mag 3 pump,but mine seems to run ok It's hard plummed to a point.Then I use hose to my return line.I also screwed it down to the stand floor and it seems to work alright not much noice at all.Don't know if this will help any,but heck it can't hurt.

predator

Did yours come witha foam pad? I have a mag 12 running my return and it came with a foam pad. It was sticky on one side. It made mine shut up real quick.