Mag 9.5 faster then my overflows

K

kpatrick

I bought a dual 600gph overflow box (1200 gph total) so I wouldnt have any issues with it being able to keep up with my Mag 9.5. However I turned everything on and the Mag almost made my tank overflow. (and thats with a 4ft head). I have lowered my overflow/internal tank boxes as low as they will go to help them start moving water sooner but the tank still goes up to the very top rim. What would be the easiest/best solution?
Get an additional overflow box? or maybe a ball valve? (arent ball valves bad for the pumps?) or something different?
Thanks

khilgers

Ball valves are bad for pumps beacause they restict the flow of the pump and add stress to a pump beacuse it is being restriced, therefore shortening the life of the pump. You are also using the same amount of power if you're running the pump at 50% or 100%. Your paying for energy to run a pump at full power but you are not getting 100% flow out of the pump. But if you are flowing 1200 GPH the mag 9.5 pump should be fine........something doesn't sound right.

K

kpatrick

I agree, the math doesnt add up.
The overflow "U-tube" doesnt have any trapped air and is running just fine but not fast enough so the only thing I can think of is the 1200 GPH overflow isnt really 1200 gph. They have a 1" PVC line into the sump if that means anything to some of you math experts.
Thanks

steelgluer

Add a tee and then a ball vaulve send it back to your sump it will take the pressuer away you need. Your pump will not notice it at all. Leave the return to tank open full then turn the ball vaule that goes from the tee to the sump.

squidd

There is no way...not possible...can't be happening ...
That your Mag 9.5 is pumping out more than a 1200 gph overflow can handle "IF" it is set up and opperating properly...
Nope....:nope: ... No ball valves, no "redirecting" flow....You want all that flow (and more) in your tank...
Dang it...you paid good money for a 1200 gph overflow and that thing better perform...:mad:
So...Let's figure out what's up with the overflow..and why it's not working...
Obviously, (as you stated) the water is rising in the tank....BUT , where is it sitting in the overflow boxes...
Is the inner box full to the top...?
You said the water "is going" through the tube ,no bubbles...
Is the water building up in the outer box....??
Higher than the overflow tube(s)..??
What kind of standpipe do you have...??
Where is it set at (level)...??
What sized drain lines are you running...??
Can you post a pic of the overflow when the pump is running...??

thangbom

...... yeah somethign is missing... but anyhow.. i just wanna say.. hehee.. im glad i bought my iwaki cuzz even if i close my ball valve off some.. (which i do sometimes) it's ok cuzz it made for high head.. he heee.. but anyhow.. yeah u are missing something that make it so your mag 9.5 pump out more then 1200 gph cuzz i have a deul overflow that i rin 3 'U' tubes and my 1200 gph iwaki can just bearly keep up..... sooo somethings wrong... like maybe your ovferflow box is set to high so that minimal water cann pass through it???

tapeworm

I also have a dual overflow with a Mag 9.5 and no problems.
The problem has to be in your overflows. Make sure that the height differential between your stand pipe and the level in the in-tank overflow is large enough to create good flow.

K

kpatrick

I have adjusted the inner box up and down to see if it helped. At one point I had it down so low that all of it was under the water line and it still didnt help. I am running 1" PVC on the overflow lines. Im not up to date on terminology so what exactly is the stand pipe? If its the piece that sticks up in the outer overflow box it was pre-set (1" pvc) when I received the overflows. I dont have any pictures to post, never posted pics so not really sure how to.
The u-tube holds it siphon so I figured the water level in the outer box was fine. There are no bubbles in the U-tube so it looks like its getting pretty good flow. Are you thinking the pipe in the outer overflow box may be set too high?
Also, when I shut off the power the inner overflow box will continue to siphon until it gets about a 1" to 1 1/2" from the bottom of the inner overflow box which leaves it about 1/2" above the level of the U-tube" in the inner box.
Hmmmmm. trying to think if I left anything out............
bought overflow box off ----. I think its called quiet flow or something like that.

squidd

How many U tubes and how big are they...??
How many standpipes and drain lines..???
Should have two of each or that thing is not a "dual" 600 gph and you'll never get 1200 gph through it (or the 740 the Mag 9 is pushing...)

K

kpatrick

Yep, 2 of everything (inner box, outer box, u tube, overflow lines). I would say the u tube is around 1" or so thick. If you need me t I can post the item description from ---- or give you the item # so you can look at it.

K

kpatrick

I hope its okay to post its description from the auction site.
The only thing I have changed is that I use 1" pvc for the overflow lines instead of the cheap black tubing it came with. The item # is 4354935712 if you want to see the picture of it.
You are bidding on (1) brand new Quietflo-1200 dual-overflow pre-filter assembly manufactured by Hurricane Aquatics. This pre-filter assembly is rated to handle up to 1200 gallons per hour (GPH). This pre-filter requires approximately 4" of clearance behind the aquarium. This is a HUGE pre-filter, with two independent skimmer boxes measuring almost 12 inches across! This pre-filter is unsurpassed in surface skimming ability, as most dual overflow pre-filters only carry one skimmer box about 6 inches in length. The larger skimming ability of the Quietflo-1200 greatly enhances performance.
The Quietflo series of pre-filters by Hurricane Aquatics feature the most contemporary design on the market, with specific features engineered to ensure the pre-filter runs at near silent sound levels. Anyone that has used a pre-filter before is sure to understand how noisy pre-filters can be. Not this pre-filter. It incorporates specially designed flush-mounted lids to minimize sound from the back siphon boxes, as well as special Backdraft tubes (included) to further minimize noise in the pre-filter drain assemblies. These two design features allow the Quietflo-1200 pre-filter to function at near silence! This pre-filter also utilizes a sliding acrylic bracket to enable the user to set the skimmer boxes to the desired level in their aquarium, it is fully adjustable unlike many other products. This pre-filter also uses TWO independent siphon boxes - unlike any other dual pre-filter on the market! These two independent siphon boxes allow the aquarist the flexibility to run 1 or 2 siphon boxes at a time to a wet dry filter sump, or to run 1 siphon box to a wet dry filter and the other siphon box to a refugium or similar setup. This pre-filter is completely flexible due to the independent siphon boxes - allowing the aquarist more flexibility than a typical dual-overflow with one siphon box. Continuous Siphon Technology is built into the Quietflo-1200, once it is setup correctly, it will NEVER break siphon!
The Quietflo-1200 comes as pictured, everything is included. This includes the pre-filter assembly, (2) 1" polypropylene bulkheads with 1" pvc connectors, (2) siphon u-tubes, (2) foam pre-filter sponges, (2) Backdraft tubes, (2) 3' sections of 1 1/4" drain hose, installation manual, and all plastic bolts and wingnuts. This complete pre-filter can be setup within 10 minutes of unpacking it!

tapeworm

What is the difference in inches between the water level in the inner box and the outer box?
The pipe that stands in the middle of the outer box, the lower it is, the more differential and the faster the water will flow.

K

kpatrick

I will look when I get home from work and let you know the heights on everything.

K

kpatrick

Okay I have some measurements and I hope I explain it so it can be understood.
The water level in the exterior box is 4.75" high when it flows into the stand pipe. The stand pipe top is 3" lower then the top of the display tank. The U-tube sets 2" from the bottom of the exterior box or 2.75" lower then the top of the stand pipe.
On the internal box the bottom of the u-tube is 4" from the top of the display tank. The bottom of the u-tube is about 1/2" from the bottom of the internal box. When I lowered the internal box as low as it would go, the gap from the bottom of the box was 1" or a little more but at tat point the display tank water level was higher then the top of the internal overflow box.
Hope this is understandable. Any ideas??
If it makes a difference, when the mag 9.5 was on it filled up the display tank rapidly and once it got about 1/4" from overflowing the display tank it slowed down drastically and never went over the side. However after a couple minutes I shut everything off since the water level was so high.

K

kpatrick

Also, with the overflow off, the water in the internal box is only about 1" deep or 1/2" above the bottom of the u-tube. This is with it raised so the water level in the tank is level with the top of the internal box until I can figure out a solution.
Hey Squidd guess im going to start using up the rest of my 2000 questions!!!!

squidd

This is what a HOB overflow should look like with pump running..
Do your "levels" look like this...?
Is one box "higher or "lower" than this pic..?
Tank water may be a "little" higher than shown here, but should not be within a 1/4" of top as you say...
Level of outer box should be 2" or slightly more "Lower" than tank level with pump running...
If not...lower standpipe height...

K

kpatrick

well that all looks about right. Could it be that the gap in the teeth arent wide enough? Or could it be the 1" overflow lines arent big enough to support the 1200 gph?