Mag Drive Pump question

F

fossilcrab

has anybody used this ? I'm planning of buying the model 3. It says it can be submersible or inline. I just wanted to know how it was setup in your tank. I have a sump, should I opt to submerge it or to install it inline ?
thanks,
Ray. :)

broomer5

A Supreme Mag-Drive Pump Model 3
350 gph
I'm guessing you have maybe a 30 gallon tank or in that neighborhood ?
Pretty small designed pump - in sump submerible would be my personal preference.

drkegel

A warning about submersing that pump:
The screws on the casing are teflon coated, with steel underneath. Had it happen where the teflon didn't protect the screw and contaminated the water. If your going to use it submersible, replace screws with plastic ones, or some material that saltwater doesn't corrode.
The inline app works very well with this pump, and you don't need to worry about the screws then.
I know it sounds crazy, but it did happen to a fellow hobbyist.

bigeyedfish

Is that for all Mag Drive pumps?? I was planning on get the 5 or 7 for my 55 gal sump return. Might rethink my plan if thats the case.

fishman1

I am using a Mag7 in my sump. Up graded it from Mag5.You will have a little more heat but if you have a gaskets leak on you. Your going lose all your water. By putting it in your sump you"ll not have to worry about that. And about rust I have not incountered that problem and have used this type of pump for years. I know their the time for every think. :D

F

fossilcrab

I got the Mag drive 3 and replaced the teflon coated screws with platic screws that I bought from Lowe's. I will install it over the weekend in-sump.

beefller

If you do put it in line be careful. The plastic fittings on the mag drive pumps are really thin and will crack easy!