Magna float killing snails

ccws

Approx 1 mo ago I added my first snails. I added 10 turbo snails to my tank. It is a 60 gallon
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are 0
PH 8.2
Temp 81-83
Since then 3 have died. I was talking to someone I work with who also has a tank. She said that she had the same problem and the guy at the LFS said it was the metal in the magna float that she left in my tank. She said she took it out and she hasnt had problems with the snails dying
After pinching the heck out of my fingers I too have been leaving it in the tank. I want to continue to do this. Does any one here think that its killing my snails?

nm reef

I have numerous mag floats that stay in the displays 24/7...a few are 2+ years old....and they've never posed problems that I'm aware of.

B

berth50

Originally Posted by CCWS
Approx 1 mo ago I added my first snails. I added 10 turbo snails to my tank. It is a 60 gallon
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are 0
PH 8.2
Temp 81-83
Since then 3 have died. I was talking to someone I work with who also has a tank. She said that she had the same problem and the guy at the LFS said it was the metal in the magna float that she left in my tank. She said she took it out and she hasnt had problems with the snails dying
After pinching the heck out of my fingers I too have been leaving it in the tank. I want to continue to do this. Does any one here think that its killing my snails?
Hey CCWS,
I wouldn't worry about your magna float. I've had mine in my tank for six months and everything is doing fine and the turbo snails love cleaning it. It's just another food source for scavengers. Hang in there, I'm sure you will be fine.
LOL,
Scott :happyfish

speg

What brand is it? MagFloats are made pretty darn well... but I have one thats around 4 years old that I got with another tank and tried using it for my saltwater tank.... that was a very bad experience. Some arent made to stay in the tank.

mudplayerx

If your tank is small enough to reach your hand to the bottom, then why use mag-floats? I only have a 55 gallon tank and I just manually clean the glass with a razor blade. It is unsurpased in its ability to clean the glass, and as a bonus it doesnt kill or remove the isopods.
ps- Just make sure you wipe your razorblade off inbetween uses because its stainLESS steel, not stainproof steel. Also, do NOT use a razor on acrylic tanks under any circumstance, it will scratch the sides. :joy:

ccws

Thanks for all of the replies. It is a magna float brand.
and to answer muds question...its easier!!