Magnetic frag shelves?

joebob7

i found these online and they look pretty cool. Does anyone have one that they like or dislike?
It kind of seems like it would be a fun DIY project.

reefkprz

I wonder how powerfull those magnets are?
I have seen a similar idea a guy ised a magfloat and glued eggcrate to it he made a good 12"x12" frag shelf that way. seemed to work pretty good for him.

M

markeo99

they work quite well I have one and it is full of quite heavy frags they have brces underneath that you cant see on those pics but I like mine

sharkbait9

I made a shelf my self with the same idea.
Pretty much i used the magnets made by zoomed called mag clips and glued them to egg crate.

mkzimms

i have the same thing in the works for my 40G project... i cut the egg create and bought the magnets this weekend!

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2622612
I wonder how powerfull those magnets are?
I have seen a similar idea a guy ised a magfloat and glued eggcrate to it he made a good 12"x12" frag shelf that way. seemed to work pretty good for him.
You can buy Neodymium magnets (earth magnets) and coat them in epoxy safe for the hobby. The one guy in the club used mr stickys and encased the magnets and gluded them to the egg crate.
Neodymium magnets are way way strong and can hold a frag shelf with no problem.

coraljunky

I have bought several of them from***online. The magnets are VERY strong. I have a friend with a wholesale account for prop tools and plugs

sharkbait9

if you google neodynium magnets you can find the 5lb pull magnets for dirt cheap. I bought a few sets off *** too. Cover the magnets in mr stickys epoxy let it set and your done. Supper easy and cheaper if you want to make a bunch.

michaeltx

WARNING~~~~
these magnets are much stronger than the normal magnets be sure to hold on to them THEY can smash the glass if the hit it to hard.
now these work great and hold up well in a tank a freind of mine makes them and algae clips. infact those above look like some that he has made. last I heard he was selling them to a few different stores.
Mike
PS watch the links to stores online and entions of the the austion site warnings are going to start going out to the ones that have been around long enough to know that its a censored word for a reason bypassing it by changing letters and ading spaces is not going to cut it!

flricordia

So how do you coat the mags? My local hardware has them and the coating in a can. I thought maybe tape a string and dip, hang to dry, cut the string and touchup where the string is?

michaeltx

that would be my guess but I havent done it or seen him do it so I font know for sure.
he may get them pre coated to for all I know LOL
Mike

sharkbait9

I think BUT NOT SURE if the plastic coating in a can is toxic or not.
To do the coating I used Mr. sticky underwater epoxy. Epoxy one side let them sit and set up. The I did the other side.
For the outside magnet I just coated one side with a piece of coat hanger to make a U gripe and then epoxy the coat hanger.
I found that if you take a piece of cardboard and lay the magnet on it and just “paint” the top and sides of the magnet and leave the bottom of the magnet alone you will get a nice flat even finish that will sit flush on the glass.
I like the 5-8lb pull.
The out side magnet you might be able to use the plastic coating since it is not going into water. I just don’t know if it’s toxic.
Michaeltx Stated it up top. You do have to watch and hold on to them if you are going to just use them as is with no type of grip. You will be surprised how fast and hard the 5-8 lb pull is.
I had them pretty far away form each other and I shifted the cardboard and the magnets shot all over the place. If they do connect to each other don’t panic just use the edge of your table and push down and slide them apart.
I had two blood blisters on the side of my hand from being pinch by the magnets.
Mike I would imagine if the plastic coating is not toxic that your plan would be the best plan.