magnets with reefs

miner

Sure, I have used them for over 4 yrs. now. Try to get one that floats if you can. There are all different sizes and shapes. Even ones that turn the corners. Be sure to never leave it in your tank very long though.

flydan

Hey!
And be very careful when you use it near your substrat!!!! If you pick up a piece of sand you'll scratch the livin *&^%! out of your tank.
Also, I've never heard of not leaving it in the tank. (Mine hangs in the corner 24/7, that way I can give a quick clean without turning off the lights and taking the top off my tank; which freaks the fish out.)
HTH

car guy

it's ok to use them, but prolonged use of them in the tank, such as leaving them in there 24/7 the metal ring will rust, and as we all know, metal in reef tank kills corals and coraline algae

also be careful that i had a substrate once.. some type of black sand that actually stuck to the magnet like METAL!!! so the first time the magnet hit the substrate, i had to throw it out.. it would not come off

These are a great thing, but you have to watce, I had one of those little things (I'm not sure what they are called but it looked like a little jelly circle) on the tank and I accidentally cleaned over it and it smeared it all over the front of the tank. Kinda gross and it wasn't easy to get off :)

I have seen these before. Are they better, worse, or just as good as the brushes? (the funny lookin sponge-on-a-stick kind)

miner

I like the magnets much better then anything else I tried. Less bulky,and there isn't as much chance of knocking your live rock. You still have to be a little careful. I wouldn't go to anything else. marym1@peoplepc.com :)

I use an expensive 60 dollar magnet ( i know a lot of money, but when it falls on my DSB the sand will not stick to it, and once that happens you have to throw it out cause it i will scratch the glass. ) anyway to tell you the truth, it is NOT as good as My $1.99 scraper from my LFS that has a razor on it.. man does it work GOOD!!!!